In April, I wrote about things that an administrative professional can beat you at. People enjoyed the post, but urged me to keep going with even more items. So here are five more!
1. Dealing With People. Around the office, you’re known as “The Grump.” And you’ll admit it: You hate dealing with people. That’s why you’ve hired a bright and smiling face to guard your door and protect you from the world. She’s known to make a sale just by smiling–something you certainly can’t do!
2. Keeping You on Task. It seems like it’s impossible for you to show up to meetings on time or meet deadlines. That’s why you should hire someone better organized than you to keep you in line. Roar like a lion as you may, you’re meek and obedient when your assistant forces you to focus.
3. Starting on Reports. If you have to update reports each week, most of it can be done or started by an assistant. Face it: It’s your least favorite thing to do, and you’d rather be working on something more fun, so why not let someone better at this chore take it on?
4. Serving as the Go-To Person. If you’re out of the office or busy, your employees may find it hard to catch you when they need you. Your assistant can be the person to answer questions and approve expenses on your behalf.
5. Research. Researching can be tedious, and you’ve got other things to focus on. But your assistant knows how to get the information he needs quickly and efficiently, so hand it over to him.
If you don’t yet have someone helping you with all this, it’s time to hire a professional. Even if you can’t afford a full-time assistant, investigate part-time employees or virtual assistants who can work from their location to help you stay organized.
The more you hand over to your administrative assistant, the more you need to recognize her skills and talent. Make sure to thank her and reward her every day, not just on Administrative Professionals Day!