You can put together all the web sites and blogs you want. But none of the time, effort and money is worth it if your audience can’t find you on the web. This is where Jon Wuebben’s new book, “Content Rich: Writing Your Way to Wealth on the Web” comes in.
What struck me about this book is its tantalizing title and benefit-rich, SEO friendly copy on the cover of the book: “The Complete SEO Copywriting Guide for Search Engine Rankings and Sales Conversions.”
If you write more than three words for the web, you’re going to want to get your hands on this book and read it all at once. The title left me salivating and envisioning thousands of visits per day – and that’s what a good SEO title should do. So, I figured this HAS to be good.
The first thing I did when I got my hands on the book is go over the table of contents. The book is written in three parts;
- Part I covers the basics of SEO copywriting and lays the groundwork of what search engine optimization copy is, how the web analyzes content and basic keyword analysis tools.
- Part II gives you all the options you have on the web from basic web sites, to wikis, newsletters, press releases, blogs and more.
- Part III lays out real life examples of SEO copywriting that you can learn from or use as templates and guides as you create your own pieces.
The book is just about 250 pages. And it is absolutely loaded with valuable content and not a single word goes to waste. Jon writes in a congenial and efficient style that packs a lot of knowledge and personal experience with what works, what doesn’t and why.
Here is just a sample of the cool tips and secrets Jon includes. This one is on “snippets” the statements that appears underneath the title in the search engine results.
“One last secret: place a benefit statement next to your keyword phrase in the snippet. Example for the keyword phrase “art supplies”: The most extensive art supplies online
Stop searching. All your painter brushes, oil based paints and other art aupplies are available in one place. Free Shipping!…Free Shipping is of course, your benefit statement/call to action”
What I love about this book is that it offers a level of expertise that you can learn and implement yourself, like the example above. And it will also make you smarter for when you need to hire someone to help you create better copy on the web. In fact, Chapter 15 is all about how to outsource your copywriting and how to hire the right person.
“A great SEO copywriter does more than just write” Jon points out that a great SEO copywriter can help you see your business in a new light. They need to be persuasive marketers first and good technicians that understand the core principles of search engine optimization second. He even goes on to tell you how to work with a copywriter: know what you want, have an agreement, stick to using one writer if you want more tips, you’ll have to pick up the book — there are plenty of them.
Another interesting chapter in the book is called “SEO Copywriting as a Career.” I thought this was an interesting addition. Of course, having read Jon’s personal story in the introduction, I was prepared for his including it.
You see, Jon had a full time job when he discovered that he actually had a talent for SEO copywriting. Ultimately he quit his job and started writing full time. He was downright ebullient about this transition and you could feel his enthusiasm come across on the page. He truly wants to share the joys and financial benefits of connecting with your target audience online.
So, if you’ve been wondering if you have what it takes to be a writer for the web, this is a book worth reading. You will not only become a better writer, and get more customers and readers on the web, but you may actually have a life-changing experience like Jon – and it seems like he would love to have that happen for his readers.
Pick up this book yesterday if:
- You put any text or copy on the web (that should be most of you). Honestly, this is required reading for any small business owner in the digital age. You don’t have to be an expert, but this will help you make the most of your web presence as well as hire someone to do the work.
- You blog for business. If you’ve moved away from a more traditional web site to a blog, this is a must read because you will learn to tailor your copy to your ideal customer.
- You want to hire a writer for the web. You will learn what critical skill sets your writer needs to have, you will learn what to look for in good writing and what technical basics need to be in place. You might not be a great web writer – but no one will fool you.
“Content Rich” truly is the busy business person’s “Complete SEO Copywriting Guide.” Keep it next to your desk before you write another word.