Keeping your team on the same page, in today’s mobile work environment, is imperative. Office Medium is a new web-based intranet and social collaboration software that aims to help small business users do just that. We used the free trial to complete this review.
Office Medium provides an affordable and effective way for your company to maintain a central repository (aka intranet) of its documents, projects, staff communication, and client interaction, via a secure website. The small business owner that needs to keep a growing team of people, either employees or contractors, coordinated in one place will find this service useful.
If you have managed projects and documents by email and found it frustrating to keep up with the iteration of a document, you’ll like that you can now see the most recent copy. You can also see what’s going on with the project and everything tied to it from a simple dashboard. From task and event management, personal and group calendars, contact management, to file sharing and storage, this online intranet can keep you more organized.
You can organize around three different levels of user, based on what they have access to: Client, Employee, and Superuser. The client level access is useful when you are sharing documents and want the customer involved in the project process. They can see only what you grant permission to see. Employee access allows more access and interaction with company information. Superuser, of course, sees and manages everything, and you can have more than one.
Most notable areas that I liked:
- Super simple interface with all the key areas listed in the top navigation bar. You know immediately where to go to add a file, a comment, start a task or event.
- Latest Content: Shows you across the user base and across file types a brief summary of who has done what. You can also go into the User Browser section and drill down into each user’s activity to determine work completed.
- Attention: This is actually a subset of nearly every item, task, event, file, and you can let any user know that something is available for them to look at and they will see an “attention” note when they log in.
What they could have done better:
- I would like to be able to drag and drop the dashboard items into a custom view. For example, the status section is terrific for seeing what my team is doing, but it appears lower on the dashboard. I’d like to be able to pull that higher in the dashboard view without scrolling down to look at it.
- The second item is I cannot create a group of people. In most cases, I want a project to revolve around certain people and it would be nice to create a task and tie it to a group, versus picking one person at a time from my contact list.
Office Medium is best for small companies looking for an inexpensive way to offer employees and clients one central place to manage and share documents and communication on a project.
Learn more about Office Medium.