Content marketing is crucial to developing a worthwhile Internet presence for your blog, website or business. Content marketing helps increase traffic, build links and create strong brand awareness.
Quality content is of the highest importance when you’re developing filler for your Internet spaces. It not only makes your informational outlets more credible to users, it also means Google and other search engines will rank your site higher than others based on the quality of the content offered.
Essentially, online marketing and content marketing go hand in hand. The content marketing plan below is a great checklist for developing a quality base of online content.
How to Create a Content Marketing Plan
Setting up and maintaining a blog is a must if you’re striving for an excellent content marketing plan. It is important to keep these pointers in mind:
- Create a reliable and informative blog that’s fun to read, even if you’re just blogging about products and services.
- Aim for about 5 blog posts a week, but don’t force the content. Quality over quantity is crucial in blogging. If content is forced, it will lose its quality. So do the best you can to post five times, but scale back if the content isn’t there.
- Have a motive behind your blog posts. Do your research and work to develop high-ranking SEO keywords and key phrases to use within each post to give your blog posts the intended purpose of creating traffic and disseminating information.
Guest post on other sites to make your content available to a wider audience. Doing this helps you connect with other people in your industry. Guest post with an aim to provide valuable content and a following for your site rather than for link building. Comply with these guest posting guidelines:
- Find a list of sites from your industry that allow guest posting.
- Do a “background check” on these potential sites and check their domain authorities and page rankings, and make sure they understand their audience.
- Don’t guest post on a site that accepts guest posts from just anybody. Do your research and find quality websites.
- Write good quality articles following the guest posting guidelines of the website, keeping their target audience in mind.
- Keep track of the success of your guest posts to give you an idea of which posts are most popular and successful, and continue to guest post on these sites.
Press releases are a great venue for creating quality online content and developing links and avenues of sharing information. The frequency of the press releases you send out or post depends on your budget and the products and services you offer. However, try for at least one press release a month, minimum.
Press releases not only give you quality content for Google to pick up on, they give you back links and the chance to fit in keywords related to your business venture within the text of the press release.
Here’s the breakdown on infographics and why you should use them in your content marketing plan:
- Infographics are “information graphics” that display complex situations or descriptions that require a lot of information in a simple, picture (or graphic) oriented way. They offer an explanation of an intricate subject in a straightforward, clean way that’s easy to understand.
- The use of infographics on your site or blog is attractive because users prefer to see a concept rather than read a bunch of text about it. Also, Infographics have the potential to go viral, and they are great tools for social sharing over Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- You can create infographics by using free tools, or you can acquire a more complex one designed by an online graphics company or handy Internet user.
- Infographics can include bar graphs, survey and statistic results, or step by step pictorials. Don’t make your infographic too stuffed with information or too complicated to understand. Otherwise, you defeat the whole purpose of using one.
Engaging your audience is one of the most important steps in your content marketing plan, but it often occurs after you have all the other elements of your content marketing plan in line. Make sure to follow these guidelines to effectively engage your online audience:
- Provide social sharing icons any chance you get. This will make it easy for users to share information that they like, without going to too much trouble to post manually on their own social sharing channels. Sharing should just be a click away.
- Include access to your mailing list wherever and whenever possible. This way fans of your company or blog can be part of the network of shared information you’re building. Think about starting a monthly newsletter or even sending your monthly press releases out through your mailing list.
- Always establish a call to action when content marketing. Your content should really spur your users to take action. Encourage them to share your information, like your Facebook page, or follow you on Twitter.
- Blog posts should also push users to take action. Include links to your site or product pages so they can follow through with the action you’re suggesting.
Hopefully this content marketing plan will help you to establish effective content marketing for your company or online venture.
Remember, content marketing is a crucial part of online marketing. So start working on building your network of quality content and you’ll be on your way to becoming a successful online marketing guru.
Planning Photo via Shutterstock