If you’re contemplating a change in the mobile platform your business uses, this might be the time. Microsoft has announced Microsoft trade-in offers that allow you to trade in certain lightly used iPads or iPhones for a minimum of $200 on a Microsoft gift card.
That card can be used towards the purchase of a Windows phone or Surface, according to offers posted at the Microsoft online store. The cards can be used for purchase of other products too.
Specifics of the iPhone, iPad Microsoft Trade-in Offers
The offers are:
- Limited to the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 and the iPads 2, 3, and 4.
- Only available through Microsoft retail stores in the U.S. and Canada and not online.
- Based on the trade-in value of the devices and subject to a manager’s approval.
- Require that devices have a power chord and are not password protected.
- Only valid through Oct. 27 in the case of iPad trade-ins and through Nov. 3 in the case of iPhone trade-ins.
Trade-ins for purchase of Windows phones may be more popular than for those for trade up to a Surface. With the exception of the Surface RT and its reduced price of $349, the devices would require additional investment even with a generous trade-in value on an Apple tablet.
Trade-In Programs Abound
Microsoft’s trade-in program is not alone in the industry, of course.
Microsoft rival Apple recently expanded its online recycling program to allow customers to trade in iPhones at its retail locations for credit toward a new model.
Mega retailer Walmart also recently announced a trade in program for smartphones. The program offers between $50 and $300 of credit toward purchase of a new phone with carriers AT&T, Verizon Wireless or Sprint.