Text messaging is an increasingly popular method of communication, and not just for individuals. Text message marketing can be a great way to reach out to your customers. But you shouldn’t just send out any old text and expect to see results.
To assist those new to the world of SMS marketing, SlickText put together an infographic  with some suggestions:
First, you have to make sure that the text is of value to your customers. Instead of bugging them with every new product or change that your company goes through, you should only send them things that are valuable to them, like discounts or special offers.
Second, that offer is what you should use to hook customers. You should lead with the offer. Don’t bury it at the bottom of your message or some customers won’t even get the chance to see it.
Third, the offer should be exclusive and urgent.
Fourth, it should accompany a direct call to action, telling customers exactly what they should do to retrieve the special offer.
Finally, the text should include the business’s name so that subscribers know where the message comes from.
Some of these points might seem a little obvious. But SlickText insists all are crucial to a successful campaign. And it is definitely possible to include all of them in one brief message.
As an example in the infographic, SlickText gave this simple text message incorporating all the necessary components:
“Buy 1 appetizer, get 1 FREE for all VIP text club members tonight at The Lakewood Bar & Grill. Show this text to get the deal. See you there!”
This text includes all of the suggested components of the optimal SMS Marketing message:
- Buy 1 appetizer, get 1 FREE – This is the special offer, which is included at the very beginning of the message.
- For all VIP text club members – This makes the offer seem exclusive. Only those who are part of the VIP text club receive this particular offer.
- Tonight – This establishes a very specific time period in which customers can take advantage of the offer.
- At the Lakewood Bar & Grill – The text also includes the name of the business. This ensures that customers know who sent the message and also where they can go to take advantage of the special offer.
- Show this text to get the deal – This is the call to action. It gives very specific instructions for how people can receive their special offer.
You can view the entire infographic below:
[Click for full size version ]