Want to get more customers into your store or restaurant? Try a bright, lighted open sign that helps people easily spot an inviting business from the street. A lighted, open-for-business sign tells the world your establishment is serving customers and is perfect for your front business window.
If you’re looking for something more than a plastic open sign to flip over at the beginning and end of the day, you’re in luck. Today’s signs are often customizable, meaning you can change colors and sometimes even the words. Open signs come in many shapes and sizes. And they’re simple to operate. You can control some LED open signs from your smartphone — they are that convenient and advanced.
Top Picks for Best Open Signs
Our selections will help you shop faster. Take a look at our picks for open signs suitable for any small business.
- Top Pick: Element Lux LED Open Sign
- Runner Up: GLI – LED Open Sign with Business Hours
- Best Value: Ultima LED Neon Open Sign for Business
Element Lux LED Open Sign
Top Pick: This lighted sign will definitely make your business stand out. First, it’s got a unique design that’s going to catch the eye of drivers and pedestrians. It looks like neon but uses bright LED technology to produce dramatic effects. It has 49 different color combinations, so there’s a good chance one will match your brand. This LED open sign comes with a remote control to manage options. It has a reasonable price and the majority of customer reviews are 5 stars.
GLI Led Open Sign with Business Hours
Runner Up: GLI’s bright LED open sign is programmable. What we like the best is the ability to display business hours for your store, shop or restaurant — that sets this sign apart. No more hassles with clumsily arranging hour stickers on a piece of plastic. It’s got thousands of color combos so matching your store or brand won’t be an issue. You can control the hours, the hues, and the light animation from a smartphone, too.
Ultima LED Neon Open Sign for Business
Best Value: The Ultima LED Neon Open Sign for Business is probably hanging in the window of a small business in every community across the country. It has a lot going for it: inexpensive price, ease of use, and simple style. This Jumbo Lighted Sign Open offers static and flashing modes, yet this model is lightweight at just 2.2 pounds. Installing it seems really simple, too. Just hang a chain from a hook, plug it in, pick your mode and you’re literally open for business.
GLI Led Open Sign for Business
If you’re looking for a neon sign look without some of the hassles that come from a neon sign, this LED sign may be a good fit for your store. It’s got multiple display modes including 64 color options to capture attention. Use your smartphone to turn it on and off and set a schedule. And you don’t have to worry about finding someone who repairs neon light tubes.
Led Open Sign for Business
If your business is lacking window space, this compact option is vertical instead of horizontal. It’s also got 64 color combos that can match your brand colors. This offering from the GreenLight Innovations Store also has several display modes, including static, scroll and flash and phase to get the attention of passers-by.
Pro-Lite Ultra Bright Multi-Color Open Sign
This sign from Pro-Lite offers up all the look and style of traditional neon with the modern convenience of LED lighting and a remote control. You can pick between 7 different border options around the OPEN letters. And the sign allows users to choose different display modes including animation and speeds. It also comes with a 3-year warranty.
Outdoor P10 Resolution, Full LED RGB Color Sign
This sign from POLAR Light is extra large at 40″ x 14″. It is suitable for outdoors (most open signs are indoor only). In addition to letting customers know you’re open for business, this LED board lets you advertise specials or sales. Control the messaging with your desktop computer or a smartphone. This sign has display modes that are completely programmable and can store up to 99 messages.
How to Choose an Open Sign
Read product detail pages carefully for details when you shop online. Here are several considerations for choosing the best open sign for your business.
- Size: Lighted sign dimensions vary, but the typical size for an LED open sign is 12 to 24 inches in height and/or width. A jumbo sign is larger, with a length or width of up to 32 to 40 inches. Also pay attention to depth. You may need a thin sign to fit in between window blinds and the glass.
- Price: The typical price of an LED open sign ranges from $30 to $200 in the U.S. The more you pay, the more product features you get. Startups usually go for cost savings, but if standing out is important, consider upgrading to more versatile products. If it brings in the customers, it’s a wise investment.
- Visibility: Light intensity is important so that a sign is visible even through dark tinted windows, or from the street in front of a strip mall.
- Design: Some businesses are fine with the word “open.” But what about advertising specials, sales or business hours? For a restaurant or coffee shop, consider appealing to the senses with a picture sign, such as a steaming cup next to the word “coffee.” A jewelry store we know uses a beautiful lighted sign in the shape of a big diamond.
- Features: Consider how many display modes and options you require. Do you want to use a smartphone to manage business hours and other settings?
- Coloring: LED technology offers more versatility than a traditional neon sign. With an open LED sign you can match your brand or simply stand out with unique hues beyond standard red, blue and white.
- Weight: Consider how you plan to mount it. Today’s LED open signs are lightweight – most are under 5 pounds. However, jumbo signs may be 10 to 20 pounds. Typically the sign is mounted by a chain on a hook in the window frame or wall. But if you plan to hang the chain on a suction cup hook, weight becomes more critical.
- Power Cord: Most products plug into a power outlet. Consider where the cord is attached in relation to your outlet, to avoid an unsightly cord across your window.
- Seller Brands: Check the brands. Among the information, is there a recognizable manufacturer name? What is the retailer’s reputation for customer service?
- Zoning: Last but not least, check local zoning ordinances in the US. Zoning regulations may limit the number, location and size of signage — including a small open sign.
LED vs Neon Sign?
The decision is an easy one. Today, the advantages of LED outweigh the benefits of neon. Also, an LED open sign is much easier to find today.
Neon signs have been around for over 100 years. Inventor Georges Claude filed the first patent for neon lights back in 1910, and the first neon sign went live over a Paris barbershop in 1912.
Fast forward to today. Modern LED signs are fast replacing neon. An LED open sign has several advantages over neon. Today’s LED signs are:
- Less expensive than neon.
- More customizable. LED gives the ability to change messages, color choices, and other settings. You can have a flashing open sign versus non-flashing. You can sometimes set a sign to turn on and off at certain times, and adjust settings through a smartphone or remote control.
- Brighter than neon lights. This is a real advantage when it comes to catching attention from the street.
- More environmentally friendly. LED is energy efficient. Also, neon signs can break, leaking noxious gas. Some communities are starting to ban neon due to such concerns.
- Less maintenance dependent. LED leaves no frequently dimming or half-lighted signs to worry about the problem of fixing, like neon which needs regular maintenance.
Pro tip: Today you can get the best of both worlds with the look of neon, but the advantages of LED lights. In fact, some signs are advertised as “Neon LED” to highlight this fact. They are not a combination of two technologies, but rather LED open signs that mimic how neon looks.
Where to Buy Open for Business Signs
Amazon is the best place to buy an open sign in our view, for several reasons. Amazon offers the most choices. An open sign is a specialty item and few retailers carry a wide selection. Other advantages: Amazon Prime members may get discounts, Prime items get free shipping, and Amazon Business members may get a discount on products.
But what if you want to see an LED open sign in person? Check out home improvement stores, office supply stores or lighting stores. However, in our experience the product selection is much more limited at brick and mortar sellers. And while you may be able to special order items, check if the product ships free.
When choosing the best place to buy a sign, consider: product selection, price, returnability, and shipping costs.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- Best Shipping Tape
- Office Supplies Checklist
- Best Whiteboard Options
- Office Desk Plants
- Best Utility Carts for Your Business