Are you in the market for new antivirus software? If so, you’re in luck! There are a number of great options to choose from, and each has its own unique set of features. In this article, we’ll take a look at the best antivirus software available in 2022. So, whether you’re looking for total protection, malware protection, or just want something to keep your computer safe from attack, read on for the info you need!
What Does an Antivirus Program Do?
An antivirus program is a software application that helps protect a computer from being infected by viruses. It does this by scanning the computer’s files and programs for known or suspected viruses, and then either deleting or quarantining them. Most antivirus programs also include a firewall to help protect the computer from being accessed by unauthorized users.
- READ MORE: Best Antivirus Protection for Your Business
Why Your Business Needs Antivirus Protection
Your business needs antivirus and malware protection to protect against a cyber threat. Especially if you have a Windows PC. Here are four reasons your business needs antivirus protection:
- Protect your business. Malware and viruses can wreak havoc on your business. They can delete important files, steal sensitive information, and even bring down your entire network.
- Keep your confidential information safe. If your business stores confidential information on its computers, it’s important to keep that information safe from cyber criminals.
- Prevent data loss. Viruses and malware can cause data loss by deleting or corrupting important files.
- Maintain customer trust. If your customers know that you take their privacy and security seriously, they’re more likely to do business with you.
Our Top Picks for Antivirus Software of 2022
Let’s dive into our top picks for antivirus products, which we came up with based on price, malware detection, real-time protection, password managers, performance, identity protection, and more.
1. Norton 360 Deluxe
Norton 360 Deluxe is a really complete antivirus security software with Norton antivirus being among the most trusted brands on the market.
- Parental controls
- 100% virus protection promise
- Use on up to five devices (Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android)
- Dark web monitoring
- Password manager
- Cloud backup is only available on Windows
- Full scans may slow down your computer
- Renewal is a bit on the pricey side
Price: $49.99 for the first year, renews at $109.99 per year.
2. AVG Internet Security
AVG Internet Security provides award-winning antivirus protection to keep users safe online. This software includes a customizable firewall, ransomware protection, and much more.
- 99.98% malware protection rate
- Their interface is very simple
- Has a lot of valuable features
- AVG antivirus free version available
- Has both chat and phone support
- The knowledgebase isn’t very helpful
- Premium support costs as much as $204.99 per year
- Not available for Linux
Price: $46.68 for one Mac or PC for the first year or $59.88 for the first year for up to 10 devices, including mobile.
3. Bitdefender Antivirus free edition
Bitdefender is a good, free antivirus software option. The one drawback to both the free version and the paid version is that neither includes a password manager.
- The free version has the same core antivirus protection as the paid, Plus version
- Independent testing labs report great scores
- Easy-to-use interface
- Virus signatures are updated hourly
- Bitdefender Central mobile app lets you scan your network from practically anywhere
- Performing a full scan for the first time can be very slow
- The free version does not include a VPN
- For complete protection, you’ll need to upgrade to their paid version
Price: Free, with an option to upgrade to Bitdefender Antivirus Plus for $19.99 the first year.
4. Kaspersky Anti Virus
Kaspersky offers top-rated solutions to protect you against threats like hackers, ransomware, and cryptolockers while running seamlessly in the background. With their antivirus apps, you can protect your Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android devices.
- Regularly updated database
- Has little impact on system performance
- Fast VPN
- 24/7 support via chat, phone, and email
- The lowest-priced plan protects Windows devices only
- Protecting multiple devices can get expensive
- October 2017 hacker scandal has hurt the brand
Price: $29.99 for the first year to protect up to three devices and up to $389.97 to protect up to 10 devices for three years.
Out of all of the free antivirus programs available, Avira is one that offers protection for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android devices even with their free version.
- Free antivirus
- Password manager
- Protection Cloud that uses AI technology to analyze potential malware threats
- Junk remover to free space on your device with one click
- Free VPN only provides 500 MB per month
- The premium mobile apps are only available on the paid plan
- Browser extensions only for Avira Prime customers
Price: Free, with an option to purchase Avira Prime for $39.99 for the first year to protect up to five devices, and $99.99 per year after that.
6. Trend Micro Maximum Security
Maximum Security by Trend Micro protects Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and Chromebook devices. With this antivirus software, your computers and mobile devices will be safeguarded against online scams and defended against the unknown.
- Helps protect and manage passwords using their powerful password manager
- Uses advanced AI learning technology
- Protects up to five devices for a reasonable price
- Ransomware protection
- Uses Pay Guard to help protect your financial transactions
- No true free version (only a 30-day free trial)
- Parental controls could be better
- Dark Web monitoring is only available with their Premium Security Suite
Price: $49.95 to protect up to five devices for one year, or $99.90 for two years.
TotalAV offers one of the best free antivirus software programs on the market. Their free antivirus program is trusted by millions of people worldwide.
- The interface is simple, user-friendly, and well designed
- Scored decently in lab tests and hands-on tests
- Free version available
- Adware cleaner
- 100% Compatible with computers, tablets, and smartphones
- Phishing protection is really poor
- Renewal price is high
- The free version doesn’t include real-time malware protection
Price: Free with an optional upgrade to Pro for $29 for the first year and a renewal price of $119 per year.
8. Avast One
The Avast antivirus software offers its users protection that’s beyond just antivirus. With Avast One, you’ll have advanced tools to protect your entire digital life.
- Their free version is pretty good
- Antivirus lab scores are excellent
- Available for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS devices
- The VPN bandwidth limit is generous even on the free version
- Help Connection advisor is included
- Protection is limited on mobile devices
- The best features require an upgrade
- There isn’t a WiFi inspector to see all devices connected to your network
Price: Avast One Essential is Free with Avast One being $50.28 for the first year on the Individual plan (5 devices), and $69.48 for the first year on the Family plan (30 devices).
9. McAfee Antivirus Protection
The McAfee name and antivirus suite are well-known all over the globe. With McAfee Antivirus Protection, you can protect your desktops, laptops, smartphones, and tablets.
- Password manager
- Parental controls (on Family plans)
- 100% Virus Protection Pledge guarantee
- Well-known and trusted brand protecting over 600 million devices
- Security experts are available online 24/7
- The very best features are available only on their highest plan
- Slow scans on Windows computers
- The Mac version isn’t as feature-rich as the Windows version
Price: The McAfee Total Protection first-year price is $29.99 for one device and up to $89.99 for unlimited devices.
10. Windows Security
With this free security suite, you can protect your Windows computer against viruses and malware. They only offer a free version of their security suite, so you can be sure you’re getting next-generation features at no additional cost.
- 100% free
- Comes pre-installed on Microsoft devices
- Easy to use
- Much improved over previous versions
- Works with Microsoft products only
- Limited features
- Not the best option to protect your devices
What to Look for in an Antivirus Suite
When looking for an antivirus suite, it is important to consider the features that are included. One key feature to look for is real-time protection, which helps to protect your computer from viruses as they are being downloaded. Other features to look for include malware protection, anti-phishing protection, and a firewall.
Which Antivirus Option is the Best for You?
The answer to this will vary from business to business. It really depends on what you’re looking for in an antivirus program and what your business needs are. However, the things all businesses should consider when making this decision are cost, features, and ease of use.
The Best Free Antivirus
Again, the best free antivirus will vary depending on your business needs. However, the best overall free antivirus software on the market has to be Avast One Essential. The free version allows installation on one machine and it works on Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices.
Should you pay for your antivirus Program?
The free version of antivirus programs does not normally offer enough security, particularly with something like webcam protection. If you’re concerned about the security of your computer and your privacy, it may be worth investing in a paid antivirus program.
Which antivirus is best for identity theft protection?
Aura is our top pick for identity theft protection. It helps protect both you and your family from online threats, fraud, and identity theft. They offer different plans, all of which come with $1 million in identity theft insurance.
Which antivirus is best for phishing protection?
While there are many antivirus software programs that provide phishing protection, our top choice has to be Webroot. With Webroot, you’ll have real-time anti-phishing protection that blocks bad websites and keeps you safe.
What is the Best Antivirus Software for a Mac?
The best antivirus software for Mac is Norton 360 Deluxe, which as mentioned earlier in this article, has a password manager, and Dark Web monitoring, among other useful security features. Norton 360 Deluxe provides protection features you don’t normally see in Mac antivirus software.
Should You Have More than One Antivirus Product on Your Computer?
Some people find that having multiple antivirus programs installed offers them better protection, while others find that this can actually lead to conflicts and decreased performance. Ultimately, the best decision is to experiment with different combinations of products to see what works best for you.
More in: Cybersecurity