Do you have baseball cards collecting dust in a box somewhere? If so, it’s time to get your vintage cards out and start cashing in! There are a few ways to sell baseball cards, but depending on the condition and type of card, some methods will be more lucrative than others. In this article, you’ll discover how to sell baseball cards for the most money. Let’s get started!
The Baseball Cards Market in 2023
According to ReportLinker, the global sports trading card market is expected to grow by about $6.71 billion between 2022 and 2026.
This growth is being driven by vintage sports cards. For example, on August 27, 2022, an SGC 9.5 Mint+ 1952 Mickey Mantle rookie card was sold for $12.6 million, which is the largest amount ever paid for sports memorabilia or a sports-related item.
It’s also the first time any sports card has sold for eight figures. And on August 18, 2022, a PSA 9 Mint 1954 Hank Aaron rookie card was sold for $720,000, which was 36% higher than the previous one sold for less than a year prior.
- READ MORE: How to Source Products to Sell Online
Why Should You Consider Selling Baseball Cards?
Are you a fan of vintage baseball cards? If so, you may be wondering why you should consider selling them. Here are five reasons you should consider selling baseball cards in 2023:
- They can be worth a lot of money. As the examples above demonstrate, vintage baseball cards can be worth a lot of money and can make you a nice profit. Vintage cards can be worth more than the original face value, depending on their condition and rarity.
- It’s a great way to make extra money. Selling baseball cards can be a great way to make some extra money. Whether you need to pay off debts, just want to have some extra spending money, or are looking to start a full-blown business, selling baseball cards can be a great way to do it.
- It’s a fun hobby. If you’re an avid collector, selling baseball cards can be a fun and rewarding hobby. You’ll get to interact with other collectors, browse through racks of cards, and learn the nuances of the hobby.
- It’s easy to do. Selling baseball cards is relatively easy to do, and doesn’t require a lot of time or money. You can quickly list them online with minimal effort and start making sales. You can reinvest the money you make to buy more cards to sell, or just save it for later.
- They’re an investment. Baseball cards can be a great long-term investment, as the values often appreciate over time. If you’re looking to diversify your investments or make a safe, long-term bet, vintage baseball cards can be a great way to do it.
- READ MORE: The Best App to Sell Stuff Locally
How to Sell a Baseball Card
If you have a sports card collection that you’re ready to cash in, there are a few methods you can use. Here’s how to sell baseball cards for the most money:
1. Identify the cards you want to sell
When it comes to selling baseball cards, it’s important to identify the cards you want to sell. There are thousands of different types of baseball cards out there, and the values can vary greatly depending on the year, condition, rarity, and other factors.
If you have an existing baseball card collection, take the time to identify which ones you want to sell.
2. Determine the types of cards you have
Once you’ve identified the cards you want to sell, it’s important to determine the types of cards you have. Different types of baseball cards will have different values, so it’s important to know what you have before you start selling.
Some of the most popular types of cards are rookie cards, autographed cards, memorabilia cards, inserts, and parallels. There are also cards from different eras like pre-war baseball cards and World War II baseball cards.
3. Determine the value of your cards
Next, you’ll need to determine the current market value of your cards. There are a few ways to do this, such as looking up the cards on eBay or other online sports memorabilia marketplaces.
You can also check out the Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA) website or the Beckett price guide, which provides the latest pricing information for sports cards.
4. Choose the best method to sell your cards
Now that you know the value of your cards, it’s time to choose the best method to sell them. If you want to sell quickly, you can list them on eBay or other online marketplaces.
For more valuable cards, you may want to consider selling them on consignment or to a dealer who specializes in vintage cards.
Top Tips for Successfully Selling Baseball Cards
Whether you’re selling modern baseball cards or vintage cards, there are a few tips and tricks you can use to maximize your profits. Here are a few tips for successfully selling baseball cards:
- Have realistic expectations. When it comes to selling baseball cards, it’s important to have realistic expectations. Cards can range in value from a few dollars up to hundreds or even thousands of dollars. It’s important to understand the market and set realistic prices for your cards.
- Know your buyer. Before you start selling, you should spend some time getting to know your buyer. Who are they? What do they collect? Knowing who you’re selling to will help you better assess the value of your cards and set the right prices.
- Research prices. Before you list a card for sale, do some research to make sure you’re getting the most money possible. Look at recent sales of similar cards and compare prices to get an idea of what your card is worth.
- Research grading services. Grading services can help increase the value of your cards by providing an objective assessment of the condition of your card. Research different grading services to find one that best fits your needs.
- Be patient. Selling baseball cards is a process, and it can take some time to find the right buyers. Don’t give up if you don’t get any offers right away, and be patient while waiting to sell your cards.
Where to Sell Baseball Cards
Finding good, reputable places to sell your trading cards is key to getting the most money for them. Below are a few places to consider when selling your cards.
Not only can you sell baseball cards at these places, but you can also sell hockey cards, sports memorabilia, basketball cards, football cards, and even non-sports cards.
The Facebook Marketplace is a great place to list your card collection for sale. It allows you to reach a large audience of potential buyers and offers an easy way to manage your listings.
eBay is the world’s largest online auction site, and it’s a great place to sell all types of cards. It offers features like Best Offer, which allows you to accept offers from buyers who want to purchase your cards.
The Beckett Marketplace is an online marketplace where you can buy and sell baseball cards. The site offers features like price guides, graded card services, and an auction system to help you get the most out of your cards.
Dean’s Cards is an online company that specializes in buying and selling vintage baseball cards. Dean’s Cards offers competitive prices making them a great option for those looking to sell their cards.
Local Sports Card Dealers
Local card shops are another great place to sell your cards. Not only do they have knowledgeable staff that can help you assess the value of your cards, but they also have a built-in customer base of buyers who are looking for cards to add to their collections.
Pawn shops are last on our list for a reason. While they can be a convenient place to sell your cards, they may not offer the best prices.
That being said, if you need cash quickly, they might be worth considering.
How Can You Determine the Value of Your Baseball Cards?
To determine the value of both modern cards and pre-war cards, you can refer to the Beckett price guide, which provides the latest pricing information for sports cards.
You can also do your own research by looking up the cards on eBay or other online marketplaces and comparing current prices to those listed in the Beckett price guide.
Additionally, grading services can help you determine the value of your cards by providing an objective assessment of their condition.
What Is the Best Way to Sell Sports Cards?
The best way to sell sports cards will vary depending on your individual needs.
For cards that don’t have a high value, listing them on eBay or another online marketplace is usually the quickest and most efficient option.
However, if you have more valuable cards, it’s best to sell them through a trusted dealer or auction house that specializes in the trading of sports cards.
These services can help you get a higher price for your cards, as well as provide access to a larger pool of potential buyers.
Which Baseball Cards Are Worth Selling?
As with any collectible item, baseball cards that are rare and in better condition tend to fetch higher prices.
If you’re looking to make some money, you should focus on selling cards that are in near-mint or better condition and of a higher value.
For example, sets from the 1920s or 1930s, rookie cards of popular players, and autographed cards are all likely to be worth more than a common card from the same era.
How Do You Sell a Large Baseball Card Collection?
Selling a large collection of baseball cards can be a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be.
If you want to quickly liquidate your collection, you can list the cards on eBay or another online marketplace.
However, if you want to get the best possible price for your collection, it’s best to work with a dealer or auction house that specializes in sports card trading.
They can help you assess the value of your collection and determine the best way to sell it.
Is Selling Baseball Cards Worth It?
If you’re looking to sell cards online to make some extra money, it can certainly be worth it.
However, the amount of profit you make will depend on the condition and rarity of your cards, as well as the prices they can command in the market.
Additionally, it’s important to consider any fees associated with selling cards online or through a dealer or auction house.
While the potential of making a profit is there, it’s important to do your research and weigh all your options before selling your cards.
Image: Envato Elements
More in: How to Sell