You’ve heard people talking about the latest mobile app. Or how they can download apps on a mobile device. But not everyone knows what these web applications are all about. Read on to find out everything you need to know about this software. Including the benefits of having an app working with your small businesses. And of course where you can find these products online. Plus which ones will help your business get to where it needs to be.
What is an app?
An app is a way people describe an application. Apps are software. Most of them perform specific tasks. Like PoS systems and payments processing products to name a few. Here’s a best of list most businesses will be interested in.
What are apps used for?
Apps are used by individuals and businesses. This type of software program can help business owners run more efficient enterprises. A good web-based app can extend the reach of a business. Native applications can increase business functions.
Here are some other reasons to consider mobile apps and others.
- A good web-based app can provide different services for a business on multiple platforms. Think CRM software and inventory management.
- You can choose from various apps at the App Store for marketing programs. A mobile app enhances marketing and social activities.
- A desktop application or an app for a mobile operating system makes it convenient to shop online. More apps equal more sales.
- Android apps can complement your brick-and-mortar stores. Add in mobile websites and you have a good omnichannel business.
- Get the right apps and you can monitor your customer relationships.
Finally, the right app with push notifications engages your target market on a mobile platform.
How do apps work?
As the name implies, mobile apps can run on your own or other electronic devices. Others like Microsoft Word run through a web browser. Mobile apps unload packages that transfer content to the storage of a smartphone.
Types of Apps
There are different types of apps. Some like desktop apps run through a web browser. Web apps are browser-based. And there are others designed specifically for mobile devices.
Web apps are designed for many reasons. They don’t need to be downloaded. A web app is kept on a remote server and delivered through an internet connection.
Examples include Firefox and Chrome.
Native Mobile Apps
These web applications are a big part of the smartphone revolution. Specific programming languages are used. These apps exist for Android devices like smartphones, and others.
Native apps are fast and reliable. It doesn’t matter which of the app stores you shop at. There are always many of these to choose from. And, they perform a variety of functions from entertainment to business-related themes.
Download these from an app store. Hybrid apps get installed on local electronic devices. The native app “shell” then connects through an invisible browser.
They are web apps containing a native app shell. They offer offline access and integrate with web browsers and other services.
Progressive Web Apps
These use features specific to web-based apps and others found in native applications. This type of software should be discoverable through search engines. And network independent so it works offline.
These desktop programs are software that run on a computer to perform a task. Think Microsoft Word. Other apps included in this category include ones for internet access like Chrome. These are some of the more common products and the ones that are quite reliable.
An outdated web-based or mobile app. A software program written for use on earlier operating systems is an example. Many of these products are still in use today although there are more recent versions available.
Why are apps important?
Mobile apps are important to your business. Consider the revenue from this type of mobile application was pegged at $318 billion in 2020. Those numbers include other types like desktop apps and web apps.
Here are five more reasons businesses need to use them. Keep in mind that an app should be part of a marketing effort that includes other tools. But you can always point a good app towards places like a website or Facebook page.
- Data mining from mobile phones and Android users. Get a clear picture of customers’ mindsets. Using the right analytics can give you a good picture of how to tweak your marketing efforts.
- Inventory Management Apps. Web-based apps like this will streamline your functions. Here’s a list of the top software choices. This is an excellent option for companies that have mobile sales teams. They can check inventory on the road before closing deals. Plus head office can order quickly and efficiently. Inventory management apps are perfect for just-in-time businesses.
- Engineering apps are another example of how you can find mobile apps geared to almost any business. It’s not hard to find even a hybrid app that deals with any particular retail or another type of business. Don’t forget that you can get products that look after your inventory and even order.
- The right app builds customer loyalty. The right mobile applications promote two-way communications.
- The right mobile apps create direct marketing channels. The mobile devices they connect with get sales and promotions. You can get the word out on your app by promoting it. There are several ways to do this including your website. This can act as an online presence for your application and give it legitimacy. Social media is another excellent tool to get the word out about your application. You can mention it on your Twitter and/or Facebook page.
Where can you purchase apps?
You can download mobile apps from the online stores that sell them. Apple devices have a designated store. And then there’s Google Play and others. There are ones for everything. Even online banking apps exist.
Apple App Stores
The Apple app store allows developers to distribute any app they’ve built or designed. The App Store has helped them make $320 billion since 2008. Apple’s app store has almost 2 million apps.
Google Play Store
There are 2 million apps and games here. Download mobile apps that support the most apps for Android. Businesses can get collaboration apps. And others like Adobe photoshop express editor. Unfortunately, Adobe photoshop sketch has been discontinued.
The Google docs app doesn’t share data with third parties. There are other word processor choices too like the business standard Word program.
Finally, here’s a neat trick. The Google Maps app has a click-to-map navigation feature. Get Inside Access and other features.
There are lots of e-commerce apps here. Even an app to write a business plan.
Windows Phone Store
These are geared toward Windows devices. Find some popular social sharing ones here like WhatsApp.
Opera Mobile Store
Download apps from this store that are browser-based. You don’t need to switch from app to app with Opera Browser.
This is the store to get an app for your Galaxy device.
What is the difference between an app and a website?
A mobile website is responsive. That means they automatically scale to fit the screen sizes of a device. An app, on the other hand, needs to be downloaded and then placed on a smartphone, or a tablet. A web app or even a hybrid app needs to be stored on a remote server. Here’s another major difference. Mobile websites are a collection of correlated web pages. They can consist of several different pages readers can interact with by supplying comments.
Can apps help you operate businesses from mobile devices?
There are several different ways that an app can help your business.
- Small businesses can hire app builders who can design loyalty programs. One of these programs allows your business to connect with your customers at any given time in any way. Some of the most popular tools here are coupons and codes as well as free services or products. Access to limited offers and pre-sells are also good methods to use.
- An app can improve efficiency. For example, you may create a work schedule app to help employees track time and stay on task.
- They provide value for your customers. The better your app, the more customers will interrelate with your services and products. Offering rewards exclusively to app subscribers is another good idea.
- A good app can also help you build a much stronger brand. Getting the word out on your goods and services helps you to foster trust in your target market. Mobile apps are the calendars, fridge magnets, and memorabilia of the digital world. Here’s a tip. Make sure that your branding has the same logo across websites, printed material, and your mobile app. Consistency is one of the keys to better sales using these tools.
- The right app can also help you boost profits. A good companion to any responsive website is a good mobile app. Having this kind of app also takes away the need to have a secondary mobile website. These can often be a problem to manage.
- An app can also help you connect better with your target market. Having good customer service is about much more than just smiling sales associates. Remember that recent statistics point to the fact 2.6 billion people have mobile devices.
- It’s good to be visible to your customers all the time. Regardless of your target market statistics say Americans spend about three hours and 43 minutes every day on a mobile device.
Finally, you should check out the kinds of password apps available. Here’s a list of the top ones for 2023.
Image: Envato Elements
More in: Software and Apps
Apps have become an integral part of our lives, transforming the way we work, communicate, and access information. They provide convenience, efficiency, and entertainment right at our fingertips. Whether it’s for productivity, social networking, e-commerce, or gaming, mobile apps have revolutionized the way we interact with technology.