If you’re a talented maker, you should consider starting a business. Many business owners are now successfully selling their crafts to consumers across a wide variety of areas. Whether you’re an artist, jewelry maker, or passionate about starting a pet business, there’s room for everyone to share their art with the world. We’ll walk you through how to make and sell items for profit and how to get started.
What are Some of the Best Ways to Start Your Craft Business?
Many platforms have emerged to promote crafts to make and sell for profit. Some of the best ways to get started with your own craft business include:
- Sell on Etsy: Etsy is one of the leading platforms for makers, and you can start your own Etsy store.
- Your own website: You can set up a website with your products to make it easy for customers to browse and buy and offer affordable shipping options.
- Facebook marketplace: You can sell items year-round on Facebook marketplace to local customers and offer shipping options for those living further away.
- READ MORE: 50 Craft Business Ideas
Where to Sell Your Handmade Items Locally
If you’re looking to sell locally, there are many options for selling your crafts.
- Craft fairs: There are many local and national craft shows across the year that bring together makers selling handmade items, especially around the holiday season.
- Craft store: Many boutiques and shops are emerging that bring together handmade goods for customers where you can sell items
- Flea markets: Local markets are always a great option if you want to make money-making crafts, as they attract a broad audience.
- READ MORE: 26 Halloween Crafts to Sell
Where to Sell Your Homemade Crafts Online
If you’re interested in running your own business and selling handmade crafts online, there are plenty of ways to sell handmade crafts online such as:
- Etsy: Etsy is one of the most popular online marketplaces if you’re looking for easy ways to start selling crafts online. You can make extra money and boost sales by offering affordable or free shipping in your Etsy shop.
- Redbubble: For artists looking to expand their product offerings, an online marketplace like Redbubble is very useful. Have your art printed on clothing, home decor, gift items, and more.
- Craft blog: You can set up your blog to detail how you make your crafts and create a following to sell the items to.
- READ MORE: 25 Places to Sell Handmade Crafts Online
Things You Can Sell Online and at the Market
So now that we’ve looked at where you can sell crafts, we’ll explore crafts to make and sell for profit. There are many craft ideas that you can start with, including hot crafts you can turn into a craft business with ease.
1. Handmade Jewelry
Starting your own jewelry business is one of the best ways to make extra cash since it’s a hot craft you can turn into a business.
- Personalized necklaces and bracelets
- Clay & wood earrings
- Pressed flower earrings
2. Knitted items
Knitted handmade products tend to be best-selling crafts, especially in the winter, such as beanies or chunky knit blankets.
- Baby item kits
3. Hand-Stamped Items
Hand-stamped items are one of the trending crafts of this year and gaining steady popularity.
- Pet items
4. Bath Products
You can make and sell bath products at home for a profitable craft business, including products such as:
- Bath bombs
- DIY soap crafts
- Bath product gift sets
5. Homemade Jam, Jellies, or Preserves
Food items like homemade jam and jelly have become increasingly popular as gift ideas, including things like mix-and-match jelly and jam packs available on an Etsy shop.
- Jelly & jam-pack
- Fruit preserves
6. Paper Crafts
Paper crafts are a great idea for a profitable business selling craft items since the materials are easy to get started with and have healthy profit margins for a crafts business.
- Tissue paper flamingo
- Origami art
If you’re looking for creative ideas related to DIY crafts, consider selling pottery items that can be used in a home or gifted.
- Soap dishes
8. Mason Jar Crafts
Mason jars are easy to find at local craft stores, and there are many ways to customize and decorate them. For example, you can do seasonal holiday jars for Halloween or Christmas or create intricate designs to sell at a craft fair or sell online.
- Wall planter
- Fancy lights
- Holiday jars
9. Wood Crafts
Another idea for a profitable craft business is to create a wooden decor. You can use woodworking tools to make best-selling handmade items in your own home to sell such as wooden toys, garden decor, and interior design.
- Wooden toys
10. Picture Frames
Many craft businesses have switched gears to items like picture frames. They are one of the top hot craft ideas that can be customized. Mosaic frames are easy crafts to sell, and you can create other unique items as DIY projects to sell using simple things like nail polish.
- Palette picture frames
- Mosaic picture frames
- DIY folder holders
11. Home Decor Crafts
Another easy craft idea is to make home decor items. You don’t need too many tools to get started, and there are many types of products you can offer.
- Scented Candles:
- No Sew Pillow Cover (no sewing machine needed!)
- Decorative Champagne Flutes:
12. Wall Art
Wall art is one of the more profitable craft items, especially when you use platforms like Redbubble to diversify your offering by offering multiple types of wall decor. Profitable wall art ideas include:
- Wall art prints:
- Oversize quilt square
- Basket wall art
|Craft Category||Craft Ideas|
|Handmade Jewelry||- Personalized necklaces and bracelets|
|- Clay & wood earrings|
|- Pressed flower earrings|
|Knitted Items||- Hats|
|- Baby item kits|
|Hand-Stamped Items||- Spoons|
|- Pet items|
|Bath Products||- Bath bombs|
|- DIY soap crafts|
|- Bath product gift sets|
|Homemade Jam & Jellies||- Jelly|
|- Jelly & jam-pack|
|- Fruit preserves|
|Paper Crafts||- Tissue paper flamingo|
|- Origami art|
|- Soap dishes|
|Mason Jar Crafts||- Wall planter|
|- Fancy lights|
|- Holiday jars|
|Wood Crafts||- Wooden toys|
|Picture Frames||- Palette picture frames|
|- Mosaic picture frames|
|- DIY folder holders|
|Home Decor Crafts||- Scented Candles|
|- No Sew Pillow Cover (no sewing machine needed!)|
|- Decorative Champagne Flutes|
|Wall Art||- Wall art prints|
|- Oversize quilt square|
|- Basket wall art|
These craft ideas cover a diverse range of products that can be sold both online and at craft markets. Whether you’re interested in creating handmade jewelry, knitted items, bath products, pottery, or wood crafts, there are plenty of opportunities to start a profitable craft business. Additionally, crafting paper goods, Mason jar crafts, picture frames, home decor items, and wall art offer exciting possibilities to cater to different customer preferences. With creativity and dedication, you can turn your crafting passion into a successful venture.
Most Profitable Crafts to Sell
Are you looking to turn your crafting passion into a profitable venture? If so, you’ve come to the right place. In this guide, we will explore the most profitable crafts to sell, providing you with creative ideas and insights to kickstart your own craft business. Whether you excel in paper crafts, woodworking, jewelry-making, or pottery, we’ll help you discover the crafts that sell well year-round and offer tips on pricing, marketing, and building a successful brand. Get ready to unleash your creativity and embark on an exciting journey to turn your hobby into a thriving small business. Let’s dive in and explore the world of profitable crafts!
- Paper Crafts: Items like greeting cards, scrapbooks, and art prints can be highly profitable, especially when they cater to specific themes or occasions.
- Wooden Decor: Handcrafted wooden decor items such as shelves, signs, and home accents have a strong market demand due to their rustic and timeless appeal.
- Jewelry: Handmade jewelry, especially personalized and unique pieces, can fetch higher prices and attract a dedicated customer base.
- Pottery: Custom pottery pieces like bowls, mugs, and vases are sought after for their artistic value and functionality.
- Unique Designs: If you have a one-of-a-kind design or craft that stands out from the mainstream, it can become a signature product that drives sales and sets your craft business apart.
- Craft Fairs and Online Sales: Participating in craft fairs and selling your products online through platforms like Etsy can help increase exposure and attract more customers.
- Pricing Strategy: Setting competitive yet profitable prices is essential, considering both material costs and the time and effort invested in creating the crafts.
- Business License: Ensure you have the necessary licenses and paperwork to operate legally and professionally.
- Customer Demand: Pay attention to customer preferences and trends to create crafts that resonate with potential buyers.
- Marketing and Branding: Develop a strong brand identity and use effective marketing strategies to reach a wider audience and build customer loyalty.
Starting a craft business can be a fulfilling and financially rewarding venture, especially when you focus on creating high-quality, in-demand products that showcase your creativity and passion. By combining your crafting skills with strategic business practices, you can turn your hobby into a successful small business that generates steady profit and attracts loyal customers. Remember to continuously innovate and adapt to market demands to stay competitive and thrive in the ever-evolving crafts industry.
Where to Sell Crafts Online for Free
There are many platforms out there that offer you a path toward crafts to make and sell for profit. You can sell online for free on Facebook Marketplace. Most platforms like Etsy only charge for listings and a small commission for each item sold on the website.
Frequently Asked Questions
If I’m skilled in crafting, should I consider starting a business?
Yes, starting a craft business can be a rewarding venture for talented makers. Many business owners have found success selling their crafts in various markets, providing an opportunity to share their art with the world.
What are some of the best ways to start my craft business?
There are several effective ways to kickstart your craft business. You can set up your own store on platforms like Etsy, which is a leading marketplace for makers. Alternatively, create a website to showcase your crafts and offer affordable shipping options. Utilizing Facebook Marketplace is another option to sell items locally and reach a broad audience.
Where can I sell my handmade items locally?
If you prefer selling locally, there are several options available. You can participate in craft fairs, which are held throughout the year and bring together makers selling their handmade items, especially around the holiday season. Craft stores and boutiques that curate handmade goods are also emerging, providing opportunities for you to showcase your crafts. Additionally, flea markets are great options, attracting a diverse audience interested in unique and creative crafts.
What are some of the best places to sell my homemade crafts online?
If you’re interested in selling your crafts online, there are various platforms to explore. Etsy is a popular choice for easy ways to start selling crafts online. It has a massive user base, allowing you to make extra money and boost sales by offering affordable or free shipping in your Etsy shop. Redbubble is another useful online marketplace, especially for artists looking to expand their product offerings. Here, you can have your art printed on clothing, home decor, gift items, and more. Setting up a craft blog to detail your crafting process and build a following is also an option to sell your items.
What are some profitable crafts I can make and sell?
There is a diverse range of profitable crafts you can make and sell. Handmade jewelry, including personalized necklaces, bracelets, clay & wood earrings, and pressed flower earrings, is a top contender. Knitted items, like hats, blankets, and baby item kits, tend to be best-selling crafts, especially during the winter season. Hand-stamped items, such as creatively designed spoons, pet items, and keyrings, are currently trending and gaining popularity. Additionally, bath products like bath bombs, DIY soap crafts, and bath product gift sets are sought after by customers seeking relaxation and self-care.
Where can I sell my crafts online for free?
While some platforms may charge for listings or take a small commission for each item sold, you can sell crafts online for free on Facebook Marketplace. It provides a convenient platform to reach local customers and also offers shipping options to cater to a broader audience.
How can I make my craft business successful?
To ensure the success of your craft business, consider customer demand and create crafts that resonate with potential buyers. Set competitive yet profitable prices, taking into account material costs and the time and effort invested in crafting. Obtaining the necessary business license and paperwork is essential for operating legally and professionally. Focus on marketing and branding to build a strong identity and reach a wider audience. Continuously innovate and adapt to market trends to stay competitive and thrive in the ever-evolving crafts industry.
Image: Envato Elements