How to Make Money Streaming
If you’ve ever wondered how do streamers make money, we’re here to answer that question for you. A live streaming business can be very lucrative and a good option if you’re looking for an additional income stream. There are a lot of different ways to get started with how to make money streaming. So for this article, we’ll look at what is streaming, how much money you can potentially make, and some ideas to get you started.
What is Streaming?
Streaming is essentially a little bit like live TV, where people watch you and/or your screen in real time. You can create and share videos in real-time, using a mobile app, computer, or a tablet with live streaming technology.
There are many platforms such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitch, and Youtube that you can stream from and where viewers can find and watch your live stream. There’s no editing involved with your live content, so viewers see exactly what’s happening. You can play games, offer advice, and/or provide expert content based on your interests.
How Much Money Does a Streamer Make?
The amount streamers can make will vary quite a bit depending on how much time and effort goes into it. Many streamers report average earnings between $3,000-$5,000 if they work 40 hours per week. Streamer sponsorships can be anywhere between 1¢ to $1 per viewer per hour, so there are no set monthly payments, but there is ample opportunity for recurring income. For many, it’s just a hobby, but it can turn into solid income with some time and dedication.
1o Ideas to Make Money Streaming
Most platforms have some kind of streaming capability that can open you up to a large audience. Streaming can be a good way to make real money while also gaining a large following. We’ll go through some of the ways that you can earn money through streaming through activities such as playing a video game or demonstrating a skill or talent you have.
1. Receive Tips on Live Streaming Platforms
Using a live stream platform such as Youtube or Twitch, you can ask viewers to tip you if they have enjoyed the stream. This is one of the primary ways to make money live streaming, but the income will vary. Alternatively, you can also integrate links to payment platforms such as your personal PayPal, Venmo, and CashApp and encourage customers to tip you through those methods. Here are some more methods you could use:
- Engage Actively with Your Audience: Regular interaction with viewers can build a strong community and loyalty. Responding to comments, shouting out to regular viewers, and addressing questions can make viewers more inclined to tip as they feel a personal connection.
- Implement Visual Alerts: Visual and sound alerts for tips can encourage tipping. Not only does this alert notify you and the viewers of a tip, but it also gives recognition to the person tipping, making them feel appreciated and potentially prompting others to do the same.
- Set Goals and Challenges: Having a visible tip goal for specific purposes, like upgrading streaming equipment or funding a project, can motivate viewers to contribute. Moreover, setting challenges (e.g., doing something special when a tipping milestone is reached) can make tipping more interactive and fun for viewers.
2. Mention Affiliates in Your Live Streams and Bios
When it comes time to create content for your live stream, being part of an affiliate program like Twitch partners can help you gain money on a live streaming platform such as becoming a Twitch partner. You can include information about affiliates and what they offer and include an affiliate link. Each time a customer purchases from your link, you’ll get a percentage of money from affiliate sales.
3. Branded merchandise
Branded merchandise is another way to make money from video streaming. Based on your video content, you can create your own merchandise to go alongside it, such as hats, t-shirts, mugs, and more on your online store or Merch by Amazon.
4. Stream sponsorship ads
You can also make money streaming games through sponsorship ads and having brands sponsor your live stream. This is a hugely popular way to make money streaming games for live streamers as they can create brand partnerships on a streaming service such as Twitch or Youtube.
Here are some more ideas:
- Exclusive Game Showcases: Brands may offer streamers early access to their games or products. By being among the first to showcase a game, streamers can draw larger audiences and exclusivity which can be monetized.
- Sponsored Challenges or Events: Brands might sponsor specific challenges or events within a game. For instance, completing a game level using a brand’s product, or organizing tournaments with brand-named titles, provides entertainment and promotes the brand simultaneously.
- Branded Overlay and Product Placement: Brands can provide streamers with custom graphical overlays to be used during streams, highlighting the brand’s presence. Additionally, physical product placements in the streamer’s setup or background can also serve as subtle yet effective sponsorship ads.
5. General advertising
YouTube is one of the key platforms where streamers can generate revenue through ads, such as the pre roll and mid-roll ads that appear in videos. Whether you’re playing video games or providing other kinds of content, advertising revenue through video monetization can be incredibly beneficial.
6. Sponsorship brand deals
While one avenue is to have sponsorship ads, professional gamers and live streamers can also get sponsored by brands and create partnerships with them as an additional revenue model. That might include creating sponsored content for brands or including them as a mention when talking to live viewers.
7. Paid subscriptions
Another common revenue model for a Twitch channel or on Youtube videos is to create paid subscriptions. Fans can get exclusive content as part of being a subscriber and access to perks such as a streaming schedule, and streamers get regular payments through a flat fee revenue model.
8. Offer courses
Depending on the type of content you create, you can also offer courses and teach others to earn more money. Many streamers create digital products such as courses that they sell access to. You can create one-off or recurring teaching events that you can sell tickets to for additional income.
9. Create multiple channels
Another way that streamers can make money is by creating multiple channels for different interests running simultaneously. That can be a great way to target more niche audiences, keep the channel organized, and provide multiple income streams. Although that does mean creating more content, it’s a way to diversify so that you’re not dependent on one channel for income.
10. Create additional content
Many streamers end up expanding outside of video content to earn money. For example, many streamers also create blog content, which can include a content marketing lead to encourage readers to check out their channel. Or they might create other kinds of pre-recorded videos as well and offer exclusive access to paid subscribers as a reward for watching their live streams.
How to Make Money Streaming Summary
|Receive Tips on Live Streaming Platforms||Ask for tips from viewers on platforms like YouTube or Twitch. Offer alternative payment platform links like PayPal.|
|Mention Affiliates in Your Live Streams and Bios||Promote affiliate programs on your stream. Earn commissions from purchases through your affiliate links.|
|Branded Merchandise||Sell branded merchandise related to your streaming content.|
|Stream Sponsorship Ads||Partner with brands to have sponsored live streams, especially popular in game streaming.|
|General Advertising||Monetize through ads like pre-roll and mid-roll on platforms like YouTube.|
|Sponsorship Brand Deals||Establish brand partnerships to create sponsored content or live mentions.|
|Paid Subscriptions||Offer exclusive content to fans through paid subscriptions on platforms.|
|Offer Courses||Offer and sell courses or other educational content based on your expertise.|
|Create Multiple Channels||Launch multiple streaming channels for varied interests or niches to diversify income sources.|
|Create Additional Content||Expand content offerings beyond streaming, like blogs or pre-recorded videos, to drive more traffic and monetize further.|
How to Get Started with Streaming
Getting started with streaming and making money is pretty easy since it doesn’t require a lot of equipment. Here’s what you’ll need:
- A computer
- High-speed internet connection
- Streaming webcam and/or camera
- A microphone
- Good lighting and using additional equipment such as a ring light
What are Streaming Costs
There are not a lot of costs associated with streaming, so it’s a relatively affordable way to make additional income. You will need to invest in the following:
- Subscription fees to platforms such as Twitch and YouTube Premium
- Equipment such as high-quality webcams, camera, and microphone
- Upgrading your machine to handle streaming content
- Additional audio/video peripherals
More in: Video Marketing