It’s not cliche to say that today every dollar counts. Times are tight — for some, times are very tight — and business owners across the country are looking at every dollar they spend to make sure they are getting the return they need from the money they invest.
So why then, in times such as these, would anyone be willing to pay thousands of dollars for a simple domain name? The answer is easy: because those simple domains (often called premium domains) can make a difference.
THE AGE OF THE PREMIUM DOMAIN
A premium domain is a domain that has been registered previously and is back on the market for resale (it’s like a used car lot for domain names but these items have not depreciated in value — in fact, it’s quite the opposite situation).
You see, today there are about 76 million dot com names registered worldwide. That means the chances of finding a very intrinsic dot com (shopping.com, flowers.com) are slim. These names were snapped up years ago but now, these early domain registrants are increasingly willing to part with their prized domain names for the right price. Some of these sales live in infamy (consider Pizza.com that sold for $2.6 million in 2008 or Business.com that sold for $7.5 million in 1999) but the average premium domain price tag ranges from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars.
SO WHAT CAN A PREMIUM DOMAIN NAME DO FOR YOUR BUSINESS?
- The Impact of the Instant Online Brand: First and foremost, a simple domain name gives your online business an instant brand. Premium domain names are generally easy to remember, easy to type and instantly associated with a product or service (Cars.com, Meat.com, Vodka.com). A business owner need not invest much to help potential visitors understand what they might expect to find on sites like these. The domain itself creates an instant online brand that continues to define your online business for as long as you have it.
- More Traffic from Direct Navigation: Your instant brand will generate traffic from direct navigation. As surprising as it may seem to those of us who use Google multiple times per day — some internet users simply type what they are looking for into their internet browser address line (Shoes.com). If your site resides at a no nonsense domain like this, you will reap the benefits of what’s called “direct navigation.” This means customers are coming directly to your site because they typed you domain directly into their web browser. And you’ll do it without spending one dollar on marketing your site.
- Increased SEO ranking: Your domain names do have an impact on your search engine rankings. So the more basic and easily associated your domain name is with the product or service potential customers are searching for, the more likely it is that you’ll rank high in the search results. (Just type hotels into your Google search bar I’ll bet Hotels.com is one of the first links returned).
About 80% of US adults are online. That’s an audience size that’s hard to reach through traditional offline marketing.
What’s more, the brand you build online can keep working for you long after your most recent flyer has been discarded.
So the bottom line is: what may seem like an extraordinary expense on first glance is actually not so outlandish. Consider the benefits you could reap from the right domain name.
My advice for small businesses is not to count out your domain name when you’re planning your marketing spend. Compare the return you could receive with your other marketing efforts (online and offline). Do a little research to see if the right domain name is available for your business. Domain registrars have search tools to help you understand what domains are available to best represent your brand.
At a time when every dollar counts, a premium domain might just be the best way to put your marketing dollars to work for you.
Reasons why a premium domain is a worthy investment
While the advantages of premium domains have been highlighted above, let’s categorically list the reasons why investing in a premium domain name is not just sensible, but often essential for businesses:
- High Recall Value: The simpler and more direct the domain, the easier it is for customers to remember. This can directly translate to increased visitor traffic.
- Credibility Boost: A premium domain often gives your business an edge over competitors in terms of establishing instant credibility. A potential customer is more likely to trust “Books.com” over “MyOnlineBookstore123.com”.
- Effective PPC Campaigns: Short and straightforward domains are known to improve click-through rates in PPC campaigns. An easily comprehensible domain is more clickable in search engine results.
- Premium Domains are Assets: Just like real estate, premium domains can appreciate over time. If your business shifts direction or rebrands, you can always sell the domain often at a higher value.
- Reduction in Marketing Costs: An aptly named premium domain can reduce the amount of money you need to spend on other marketing activities, as the domain name itself can be self-explanatory and catchy.
- Global Appeal: Premium domains, especially those in .com, have a global appeal. They can be beneficial if you are planning to expand your business internationally.
|High Recall Value||Simpler, more direct domains are easily remembered by customers, leading to increased visitor traffic.||Improved brand recognition, higher website traffic.||Books.com||Increased user engagement and site visits.|
|Credibility Boost||Premium domains establish instant credibility, making customers more likely to trust your business over competitors.||Enhanced trust, competitive advantage.||Books.com" over "MyOnlineBookstore123.com"||Differentiation from competitors.|
|Effective PPC Campaigns||Short, clear domains improve click-through rates in PPC campaigns, as they're more clickable in search results.||Higher click-through rates, improved campaign ROI.||Books.com||Enhanced digital marketing performance.|
|Assets & Appreciation||Premium domains can appreciate over time like real estate. They can be sold at a higher value during rebranding.||Potential for capital gains, valuable business asset.||Selling domain post rebranding||Potential financial gains and business flexibility.|
|Marketing Cost Reduction||Self-explanatory and catchy premium domains can reduce the need for additional marketing expenses.||Lower marketing costs, simplified branding efforts.||Books.com||Efficient use of resources for marketing strategies.|
|Global Appeal||Premium domains, especially in .com, have worldwide appeal, aiding international business expansion plans.||Facilitated global recognition, support for expansion.||Books.com||Easier international market entry.|
|Overall Impact||Investing in a premium domain yields long-term benefits in branding, credibility, and cost savings, justifying the expense.||Enhanced brand reputation, increased trust, efficient marketing.||Improved business growth and susta|
While the initial outlay for a premium domain might be higher than a regular domain, the long-term benefits in terms of branding, credibility, and marketing cost reductions often justify the investment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I consider investing in a premium domain name?
In today’s tight economic landscape, every dollar spent by businesses needs to yield substantial returns. Premium domain names, though they might require a higher upfront investment, offer significant benefits that can make a difference for your business. These domains are memorable, easy to type, and associated with specific products or services, instantly creating a strong online brand presence.
What defines a premium domain name?
A premium domain is one that has been previously registered and is now available for resale. Unlike depreciating assets, premium domains tend to appreciate in value over time. With the ever-growing number of registered dot com names, finding a highly descriptive and intrinsic domain name has become a challenge. However, original domain registrants are increasingly willing to sell their premium domains for the right price.
What advantages does a premium domain bring to my business?
- Instant Online Brand: A premium domain provides your online business with an instant brand identity. These domains are memorable and closely related to specific products or services, making it easy for visitors to understand what your website offers.
- Direct Navigation Traffic: Many users type keywords directly into their browser’s address bar to find what they need. Having a straightforward domain name like “Shoes.com” can lead to direct navigation traffic without the need for marketing expenditures.
- Enhanced SEO Ranking: Domain names play a role in search engine rankings. The more relevant and closely associated your domain name is with what customers are searching for, the higher your chances of ranking well in search results.
How does a premium domain affect online marketing?
With around 80% of US adults online, a premium domain allows you to reach a massive audience that might be difficult to target through traditional offline marketing. Additionally, the brand identity you build online continues to work for you long after offline marketing materials are discarded.
Is the cost of a premium domain worth it for small businesses?
Absolutely. While the initial cost of a premium domain might seem high, it’s essential to consider the long-term benefits. A premium domain offers instant brand recognition, increased credibility, and potential cost savings on marketing efforts. When compared to the returns from other marketing investments, a premium domain can be an effective and efficient choice.
How can I decide if a premium domain is right for my business?
Research and comparison are key. Assess the potential return on investment from a premium domain compared to other marketing efforts, both online and offline. Utilize domain registrar search tools to find available domains that best represent your brand. Consider the unique advantages that a premium domain offers, such as immediate brand recognition and reduced marketing costs.
What are some examples of the benefits of premium domains listed in the table?
- High Recall Value: A simpler domain enhances customer memory, leading to increased website traffic.
- Credibility Boost: Premium domains establish instant credibility, differentiating your business from competitors.
- Effective PPC Campaigns: Clear domains improve click-through rates, optimizing pay-per-click campaigns.
- Assets & Appreciation: Like real estate, premium domains appreciate over time and can be sold at a higher value.
- Reduction in Marketing Costs: A premium domain’s self-explanatory nature reduces the need for additional marketing expenses.
- Global Appeal: Premium domains, especially in .com, have worldwide recognition, aiding international expansion plans.
How can I justify the initial investment in a premium domain?
While the upfront cost of a premium domain might seem significant, the long-term benefits in terms of branding, credibility, and cost reductions in marketing efforts often provide a solid justification for the investment. Consider the positive impacts on your business growth and sustainability when making your decision.
Investing in a premium domain might be the strategic move that maximizes your marketing dollars and positions your business for success in the digital world.
More in: Online Marketing