Staying at home with kids is a full-time job on its own. But many moms also want to make extra money online or with a home-based business idea. If you’re looking for the perfect business idea for stay at home moms, read on for some options.
What is a Mompreneur?
A mompreneur is any mom who also runs a business. The term is often applied to those who run companies that serve other moms, or those who serve as the primary caregiver for their children.
- Read more: What is a Mompreneur?
Business Opportunities for Stay-at-Home Moms in 2022
Technology has opened lots of opportunities for stay-at-home moms and anyone looking to run a business remotely. You can run a company completely online and enjoy time flexibility to complete tasks while the kids are napping or entertaining themselves.
Why You Should Consider Starting Your Own Business as a Stay-at-Home Parent
Some aspiring small business owners who are also parents may consider waiting until their children are grown or away at school. However, here are some reasons why you should start a business while staying home with the kids:
- Earn extra income: Most families with a parent who stays home live off one income. However, if you can build a lucrative business from home or during a partner’s off-hours, you can increase your family’s resources significantly.
- Demonstrate work ethic to your kids: If your kids see you working hard at something you love, they may emulate you and create their own career opportunities in the future.
- Enjoy a flexible schedule: Home-based business ideas often allow you to work on your own schedule. You can run your business while the kids sleep, go to school, or enjoy fun activities.
- Get your kids involved: As they get older, certain business opportunities may even create family bonding opportunities. For example, your kids may weigh in on your web design options or help you prepare decorations for an event you’re planning.
- Do something for yourself: Stay-at-home parents spend most of their time taking care of others. Creating your own business opportunity can help you reclaim some of your individuality, creativity, and sense of purpose outside your family.
Criteria for Choosing Business Ideas for Stay-at-Home Moms: Our Methodology
Let’s begin by outlining the criteria for evaluating business ideas suitable for stay-at-home moms. These criteria will help moms choose the best business opportunities that align with their unique needs and circumstances. We’ve ranked these criteria on a scale of importance, using a 1-10 rating scale, with 10 being the highest importance and 1 being the lowest:
- Flexibility (9/10): Prioritize business ideas that offer flexible working hours, allowing stay-at-home moms to balance work and family responsibilities.
- Low Startup Costs (8/10): Opt for businesses with minimal upfront expenses, making it accessible for moms with limited resources.
- Passion and Skill Alignment (9/10): Choose a business idea that aligns with your interests and skills, as it can be more rewarding and motivating.
- Market Demand (8/10): Research and assess the demand for your chosen product or service within your target market.
- Online Presence (7/10): Consider businesses that can be operated online, as this provides flexibility and a broader customer reach.
- Niche Focus (8/10): Explore niche markets where you can cater to specific needs and potentially face less competition.
- Family Support (7/10): Ensure that your family is supportive and understanding of your entrepreneurial endeavor.
- Legal and Regulatory Compliance (9/10): Make sure your business complies with all relevant local, state, and federal regulations.
- Scalability (7/10): Consider whether the business can be scaled over time, allowing for growth as your circumstances change.
- Networking (7/10): Build a network within your chosen industry or community to gain support and customers.
Best Business Ideas for Mompreneurs
Here are the top home businesses for moms interested in offering profitable products or services online.
Small Business Deals
1. Freelance Writing Business
As a freelance writer, you contract with publications to create content or articles as needed. This business model allows for flexibility and creativity, enabling you to write across multiple genres and for various platforms.
There are a few ways to structure this business. Some writers work with just one or two companies on an ongoing basis, developing a deep understanding of their client’s voice and needs.
Others prefer to diversify, marketing their writing skills on a wider scale, and partnering with multiple clients for short projects, which can range from blogs, magazine articles, or even ghostwriting books.
2. Proofreading Business
If your strength lies in refining content rather than creating it, then starting a proofreading service might be a great fit for you. You can serve a range of clients, including online publications, print journals, academic scholars, or independent authors looking to self-publish.
As a proofreader, your keen eye for detail ensures the content is error-free and meets high-quality standards. Proofreaders may charge an hourly rate, per word, or even per project. As the digital age continues to boom, the demand for error-free content becomes increasingly crucial, making proofreading a sought-after skill.
3. Bookkeeping Business
For those with a knack for numbers and a financial background, running a bookkeeping business can be both profitable and satisfying. Many local businesses, especially small to medium enterprises, require bookkeeping services but don’t have the resources to hire a full-time accountant.
By offering your services, you can help these businesses maintain their financial health. With the aid of modern bookkeeping software and cloud-based solutions, you can easily manage your clients’ financial records, process payroll, and generate financial statements. Plus, the ability to work remotely allows you to serve clients beyond your local area, right from the comfort of your home office.
4. Virtual Assistant
In today’s fast-paced digital world, businesses and entrepreneurs often find themselves juggling a myriad of tasks. Enter the virtual assistant (VA), a savior for those overwhelmed with administrative duties.
Virtual assistants provide a broad spectrum of services, from scheduling meetings, managing social media accounts, drafting emails, to more specialized tasks like market research. As a VA, you can choose to work with one large client, offering a comprehensive range of services, or diversify and provide specific services to several clients.
The flexible nature of this role means you can tailor your services to suit your strengths and expertise, and with many businesses moving online, the demand for VAs is on the rise.
- Read more: Small Business Ideas for Beginners
5. Direct Sales
Direct sales contract with larger companies to sell products. Alternatively, some offer multi-level marketing opportunities where you purchase products yourself and then sell them to others.
6. Social Media Manager
Social media managers schedule content and interact with followers on clients’ social media accounts. Create your own website and social media profiles to market your services to other companies.
7. Personal Training Business
Those with a fitness background can serve personal training clients online thanks to video chatting platforms. You just need a home gym and computer to start this type of business.
8. Consulting Business
If you have experience with business, marketing, or other technical skills, work with clients remotely as a consultant. These professionals usually give clients the knowledge and tools to improve operations on their own, rather than offering ongoing services.
More Great Home Business Ideas for Moms
There are tons of diverse opportunities for making money as stay-at-home parents. Whether looking for an online business idea or something that you can run with your kids, here are some opportunities to consider.
9. Course Writing Business
Online education is experiencing a boom as more people seek to upskill or learn new topics from the comfort of their homes. If you have expertise in a particular subject, creating an online course can be a lucrative venture.
Online courses typically consist of multiple videos, written lessons, quizzes, and interactive elements tailored to suit various learning styles. Once your course is ready, you can offer it for sale on your website or use platforms like Udemy or Coursera to reach a wider audience.
A well-structured course can serve as a passive income stream, as students can enroll and complete the course at their leisure, without any active involvement on your part post-launch.
10. Online Store
There are tons of products you can sell online, from t-shirts to tech devices. Manage your own inventory from home or use a fulfillment or drop shipping service to simplify operations.
11. Graphic Design Business
In an increasingly visual world, businesses are continuously in need of standout graphics. If you have a flair for design, starting a graphic design business can be both fulfilling and profitable.
Graphic designers assist companies in crafting their brand identity by creating logos, promotional materials, website designs, and more. With the advent of tools like Adobe Creative Cloud and communication platforms like Slack or Zoom, it’s easier than ever to collaborate with clients from all over the world, making your operations entirely remote.
12. At-Home Daycare
For those who love children and have the space and resources, an at-home daycare can be an ideal business. By providing care for your own children alongside others in the community, you can earn an income while also creating a social environment for the kids.
Parents are always in search of reliable and nurturing spaces for their children, and by offering a safe, structured, and loving environment, you can create a thriving business. Just ensure you have the necessary licenses and adhere to local regulations.
13. Dog Walking Business
For animal enthusiasts looking for an active business, dog walking can be both enjoyable and profitable. It’s a great way to combine your daily walks with an income stream.
If you have children who adore pets, this business becomes a fun family affair, teaching them responsibility while enjoying the outdoors. As your reputation grows, you can expand services to pet sitting or even grooming.
14. Craft Business
For those who find joy in creating, a craft business can be a rewarding endeavor. Whether you’re into pottery, jewelry making, or creating bespoke home decor, there’s a market for unique, handcrafted items.
You can establish an online presence through platforms like Etsy or Shopify, or participate in local craft fairs and farmer’s markets to showcase your creations. As demand grows, you can also consider offering craft workshops or tutorials, adding another revenue stream to your business.
15. Event Planning Business
Organizing events, whether they’re birthdays, weddings, or corporate functions, requires meticulous planning and a keen eye for detail. As an event planner, you’d collaborate with clients to bring their vision to life, liaising with vendors, venues, and suppliers.
Even though much of the coordination can be done remotely, you’ll sometimes need to visit sites or attend the actual event to ensure things go smoothly. Event planners build a reputation based on the experiences they curate, so exceeding client expectations is key.
16. Tutoring Business
With the proliferation of online education, there’s a growing demand for online tutors. Use platforms like Zoom or Skype to offer personalized lessons in subjects you’re proficient in. This business can range from academic subjects to skills like musical instruments or languages.
17. Wholesale Baking Business
For those who find solace in baking, turning this hobby into a business is a delightful proposition. From cupcakes to artisan bread, if you can bake it, there’s likely a local cafe or bakery interested in purchasing. Do ensure you’re familiar with health regulations and obtain the necessary licenses.
18. Stock Photography Business
Quality images are in high demand for websites, blogs, and advertising campaigns. If you have a knack for photography, selling your images on platforms like Shutterstock or Getty Images can provide a steady income. Diversify your portfolio to increase sales opportunities.
19. Digital Product Sales
Digital products are cost-effective to produce and distribute. Create and sell items like eBooks, printable planners, or design templates. Websites like Gumroad or Shopify make selling these products seamless.
Create your own YouTube channel about your family or another subject you’re passionate about. Then earn income from ad sharing or sponsored content.
21. Social Media Influencer
Similarly, focus on growing your own social media presence and work with brands you love to provide sponsorship opportunities.
For those who prefer an audio format, podcasting allows you to share content you care about. Then offer sponsored ads within each show.
23. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketers earn a commission from each sale made when they direct followers to a site via an affiliate link. This is a popular passive income stream for bloggers or influencers.
24. Content Marketing Service
Offer writing services to businesses that want to start a blog or build a robust online presence.
25. Vacation Rental Business
If you have the resources to purchase properties in a popular tourist destination, rent those spaces on sites like Airbnb or VRBO. You’ll need to maintain those properties regularly or work with a management company to get them ready for new guests.
26. Meal Prep Service
Those who love cooking may offer prepared meals to clients, especially those looking to save time and eat more healthy foods.
27. Catering Service
Turn your culinary passion into a business by catering events. Whether it’s intimate gatherings or grand affairs, delivering exceptional food and service will secure repeat clientele.
28. Alterations Service
For those with sewing skills, alter clothing and hem curtains for local customers from your own home.
29. Laundry Service
Similarly, you can offer laundry services like washing, stain removal, and pressing. Either let customers pick up their items or deliver them to each person’s home.
30. Web Design Business
If you have the technical skills to design and build websites, help businesses create their own online presence in exchange for a fee. Create your own website with an online portfolio to showcase your work.
Business Ideas for Stay at Home Moms Summary
|Freelance Writing Business||Contract with publications to create content. Options for diverse clientele or specializing in one or two.|
|Proofreading Business||Refine content for clients; service online publications, academic scholars, and more.|
|Bookkeeping Business||Serve local businesses with financial record management. Work remotely with modern software.|
|Virtual Assistant||Manage administrative duties for businesses. Services range from scheduling to specialized tasks.|
|Direct Sales||Contract with companies to sell products or engage in multi-level marketing.|
|Social Media Manager||Handle content and interactions for client's social media accounts.|
|Personal Training Business||Offer fitness services online through video chats.|
|Consulting Business||Share expertise to help clients improve operations.|
|Course Writing Business||Create online educational courses in specialized subjects.|
|Online Store||Sell various products online.|
|Graphic Design Business||Craft visual materials for businesses, including logos and promotional items.|
|At-Home Daycare||Provide care for children in a structured and loving environment.|
|Dog Walking Business||Offer walking services for dogs.|
|Craft Business||Sell unique, handcrafted items online or at local events.|
|Event Planning Business||Organize and manage various events for clients.|
|Tutoring Business||Offer online lessons in various subjects.|
|Wholesale Baking Business||Bake goods for local establishments.|
|Stock Photography Business||Sell quality photographs for various purposes online.|
|Digital Product Sales||Produce and distribute digital items like eBooks or design templates.|
|YouTuber||Create content on YouTube and earn from ads or sponsorships.|
|Social Media Influencer||Grow online presence and collaborate with brands for sponsorships.|
|Podcaster||Produce audio content and monetize through ads or sponsorships.|
|Affiliate Marketing||Earn commissions by directing followers to sites via affiliate links.|
|Content Marketing Service||Offer writing services to businesses wanting to build an online presence.|
|Vacation Rental Business||Rent properties on platforms like Airbnb or VRBO.|
|Meal Prep Service||Offer prepared meals for those wanting convenient, healthy options.|
|Catering Service||Provide food services for events.|
|Alterations Service||Sew or alter clothing for customers.|
|Laundry Service||Provide washing, stain removal, and pressing services.|
|Web Design Business||Design and build websites for businesses.|
What Business Idea Can you Do While Staying Home?
There are numerous online business ideas you can run from home while creating your own hours. For example, offer freelance services like writing, marketing, or web design where you serve other businesses. You can also start your own eCommerce site or offer services directly to consumers, like dog walking or laundry and alterations.
Which Home Business Is Most Profitable?
Many home-based businesses can be profitable since they often don’t come with high overhead costs like retail or office space. There are several that can be started with little to no investment, including freelance writing, web design services, and VA business, all of which can be profitable quickly.
The journey of a stay-at-home mom is undoubtedly a full-time job in itself, filled with love, care, and dedication to family. However, the modern world has opened up a world of opportunities for moms who wish to balance their caregiving responsibilities with the pursuit of entrepreneurial dreams. The term “mompreneur” encapsulates the spirit of these mothers who successfully manage both roles – nurturing their families and running businesses of their own.
The year 2022 ushered in a wealth of business opportunities for stay-at-home moms, thanks to the ever-evolving landscape of technology and remote work. The ability to operate businesses entirely online has provided moms with the flexibility to manage their businesses while attending to their children’s needs. This new paradigm has transformed what it means to be a stay-at-home mom, offering a chance to earn income and pursue personal passions simultaneously.
The decision to start a business while staying at home with the kids is a significant one, and it’s not without its challenges. However, the benefits and opportunities that come with this choice are substantial. Here are some compelling reasons why aspiring mompreneurs should seriously consider starting their own businesses:
1. Earn Extra Income: Many families rely on a single income when a parent stays home to care for the children. By establishing a profitable business from the comfort of home or during a partner’s off-hours, moms can significantly increase their family’s financial resources. This extra income can be a game-changer, providing financial security and the ability to pursue family goals more comfortably.
2. Set an Example of Work Ethic: Children often emulate the behaviors and values they observe in their parents. When kids see their moms working hard on something they are passionate about, it instills a strong work ethic in them. This example can inspire the next generation to create their own career opportunities, fostering independence and a lifelong love for learning.
3. Enjoy a Flexible Schedule: One of the most significant advantages of home-based business ideas is the flexibility they offer. Moms can manage their businesses during the hours that best suit their family’s needs. Whether it’s working during nap times, school hours, or late at night, this flexibility allows moms to strike a balance between caring for their children and pursuing their entrepreneurial dreams.
4. Get Kids Involved: As children grow older, certain business opportunities can create unique bonding experiences for families. Involving kids in aspects of the business, such as web design decisions or event planning, not only educates them but also strengthens family ties. It’s an opportunity for kids to learn about entrepreneurship firsthand, gaining insights into creativity, responsibility, and teamwork.
5. Reclaim Personal Identity: Stay-at-home parents often dedicate the majority of their time to caring for their families. While this is a noble and fulfilling role, it’s equally important for parents to nurture their individuality and personal interests. Starting a business allows moms to reclaim some of their creativity, passion, and sense of purpose outside their family role.
The article has explored a wide range of business ideas suitable for mompreneurs, each offering unique opportunities for earning income and personal fulfillment. Here are some of the top home businesses for moms:
1. Freelance Writing Business: Freelance writers have the flexibility to create content for various platforms and genres. Whether they choose to work with a few long-term clients or diversify their portfolio, this business allows moms to express their creativity and writing skills.
2. Proofreading Business: If attention to detail is a strength, a proofreading service can cater to online publications, academic scholars, and authors seeking error-free content.
3. Bookkeeping Business: Moms with a financial background can offer bookkeeping services to local businesses. Modern bookkeeping software and remote work capabilities make this business accessible from home.
4. Virtual Assistant: In today’s fast-paced digital world, virtual assistants help businesses and entrepreneurs manage administrative tasks. Moms can choose to work with one primary client or offer specific services to multiple clients, adapting their roles to their strengths and expertise.
5. Direct Sales: Moms can engage in direct sales by partnering with larger companies to sell products or exploring multi-level marketing opportunities. This business model offers flexibility and the chance to earn commissions through product sales.
6. Social Media Manager: Social media managers schedule content and engage with followers on clients’ social media accounts. Establishing an online presence to market services to other businesses is a key aspect of this business.
7. Personal Training Business: Moms with fitness backgrounds can offer personal training services online through video chatting platforms, combining their passion for fitness with income generation.
8. Consulting Business: Moms with expertise in various fields, such as business or marketing, can work as consultants, offering clients knowledge and tools to improve their operations independently.
Beyond these business ideas, numerous other opportunities await stay-at-home moms. From creating online courses to selling products through eCommerce, the options are diverse and tailored to individual skills and passions.
In the pursuit of entrepreneurship, moms can find fulfillment, financial independence, and a sense of personal identity while continuing to provide the love and care their families deserve. The path to becoming a successful mompreneur is not without its challenges, but with determination, creativity, and a strong work ethic, moms can achieve their business goals and inspire the next generation to follow their dreams.
As we look to the future, let us celebrate the resilience and ingenuity of stay-at-home moms who have ventured into the world of entrepreneurship. They are not just managing businesses; they are also nurturing their families, proving that with dedication and ambition, it’s possible to create a harmonious balance between career and family life. The mompreneurs of today are paving the way for a new generation of empowered women who can thrive both at home and in the business world.
Image: Envato Elements
More in: Develop an Idea