Clothing stores can be complicated and time-consuming to start. However, franchising allows you to get up and running quickly using a proven model. If you’re looking to get into the clothing retail business, here are some opportunities to consider.
What is a Clothing Franchise?
Clothing franchises are retail businesses that sell apparel and accessories. They connect with independent franchisees to expand to new locations.
- READ MORE: See our Franchise Guide
The Fashion Industry in 2022
The fashion industry has changed dramatically in recent years, mainly geared toward online shopping. However, many shoppers still appreciate an in-person experience, especially for the benefits of trying on clothing. Many shoppers also appreciate sustainability in their fashion choices, including buying secondhand items.
- READ MORE: How to Start a Clothing Business
Why You Should Consider Clothing Store Franchises and Retail Stores
If you’re looking for clothing franchises to connect with in 2022, here are some top benefits to consider:
- Get a proven business model: Retail store ownership can be risky. However, franchise models provide a proven model with built-in pricing, marketing, and more to improve your chances of success.
- Serve your local community: Clothing franchises generally include physical locations in downtown areas or business districts. This allows you to be an active part of your community.
- Enjoy an active and social environment: Employees and shoppers come and go all day from retail franchises. This makes it an ideal job for those who love to be on their feet and interact with people.
- Explore your love of fashion: If you’re interested in fashion, clothing franchises can allow you to stock your favorite apparel and accessories.
- Stay ahead of popular trends: Clothing retail businesses must stay on top of trends to stock items customers are interested in. If you’re interested in trendy fashion, this is an ideal way to learn more each day.
Small Business Deals
Criteria Small Business Owners Should Consider When Evaluating Clothing Franchise Opportunities: Our Methodology
Choosing the right franchise can make a world of difference in the success of your business venture. Here are some key factors to keep in mind:
1. Brand Reputation (Importance: 9/10)
- Assess the reputation and recognition of the clothing franchise in the market. A well-established brand can attract more customers and boost your business’s credibility.
2. Initial Investment (Importance: 9/10)
- Determine the initial franchise fee, equipment costs, and other startup expenses. Make sure it aligns with your budget and financial resources.
3. Ongoing Fees and Royalties (Importance: 7/10)
- Understand the ongoing fees, royalties, and marketing contributions required by the franchise. These costs can impact your profitability over time.
4. Support and Training (Importance: 9/10)
- Evaluate the level of training, guidance, and ongoing support provided by the franchise. A strong support system can help you navigate challenges effectively.
5. Location and Target Market (Importance: 9/10)
- Consider the suitability of the franchise’s location requirements and whether it aligns with your target market. A prime location can significantly influence your business’s success.
6. Competition and Market Analysis (Importance: 7/10)
- Conduct thorough research on the competition and market trends related to the clothing franchise. Understanding your competitive landscape is essential for strategic planning.
7. Flexibility and Innovation (Importance: 7/10)
- Examine the franchise’s ability to adapt to changing market trends and its commitment to innovation. Staying relevant in the ever-evolving fashion industry is crucial.
8. Franchisee Reviews and Feedback (Importance: 7/10)
- Seek feedback from current and former franchisees to gain insights into their experiences with the franchise. Their perspectives can provide valuable insights.
9. Legal Agreements and Terms (Importance: 9/10)
- Review the franchise agreement and terms carefully, including renewal options, termination clauses, and any restrictions. Ensure you fully understand the legal aspects.
10. Growth Potential (Importance: 7/10) – Explore the potential for expansion within the franchise system. Consider whether the franchise offers opportunities for growth and scalability.
Top Clothing Franchises for Small Business Owners
If you’re looking for retail franchises that sell clothing and accessories, here are some top options to consider.
1. Plato’s Closet
Plato’s Closet is a resale shop that specializes in trendy clothing. Run by Winmark Brands, the company has tons of brand recognition and opportunities for those looking to buy multiple locations. The initial investment varies from $275,000 to $350,000.
2. Apricot Lane Boutique
Apricot Lane is a boutique offering fashionable women’s clothing. The company offers exclusive buyers, proprietary software, and exclusive territories. Startup costs begin at around $150,000, making it a relatively affordable franchise.
3. Filthy Rich
Filthy Rich is a celebrity-inspired fashion brand that has locations across multiple countries. The initial investment ranges from about $115,000 to $250,000.
4. Clothes Mentor
Clothes Mentor buys and sells gently used women’s clothing. They provide training and help with retail setup. Startup costs range from about $250,000 to $360,000.
- READ MORE: 50 Small Business Ideas for Fashionistas
5. Flip Flop Shops
Flip Flop Shops offers casual footwear and beach wear from top brands. With more than 82 locations, the brand is one of the best franchise opportunities for those who enjoy a beach lifestyle. Initial expenses start at around $125,000.
6. Style Encore
Style Encore is a secondhand women’s retail franchise run by Winmark Brands. They offer a proven model and tons of available territories across the U.S. Typical startup costs range from about $275,000 to $350,000.
7. Uptown Cheapskate
Uptown Cheapskate is a trendy resale clothing franchise with a rapidly growing brand. Lots of territories are available, and the total investment ranges from $301,579 to $491,579.
TaylorMarie’s is a pop-up boutique for senior women. Franchisees can work from home, enjoy time freedom, and only invest between $103,650 and $173,600.
9. Pro Image Sports
Pro Image Sports offers licensed sports apparel and casual clothes in both mall and hometown stores. Costs vary widely from about $100,000 to $500,000, depending on the model and location you choose.
10. Once Upon a Child
Once Upon a Child is a kids resale boutique run by Winmark. The brand carries clothing, toys, and various supplies. Initial store costs range from $275,000 and $350,000.
11. Kid to Kid
Kid to Kid is another resale shop that mainly focuses on kids’ clothing. The initial investment ranges from $347,200 to $542,100.
12. Mainstream Boutique
Mainstream Boutique is a fashion brand with its own line of trendy women’s apparel. Store costs range from $170,000 to $310,000.
13. Big Frog
Big Frog is a custom t shirts business with steady inventory and low overhead. The initial investment ranges from $182,904 to $253,041.
14. Instant Imprints
Instant Imprints is another custom t-shirt and printing franchise that works with teams, businesses, and individuals. There are multiple models available, from full territories to re-sales. Costs vary, but you’ll need at least $100,000 in liquid assets.
fab’rik is a trendy fashion brand that offers stores as well as personal styling and fashion shows or special events. Initial costs vary from $120,000 to $200,000.
16. Barebones Workwear
Barebones Workwear offers clothing for trades professionals from top brands like Carhart and Dickies. Costs range from $345,000 to $393,800.
17. Bijoux Terner
Bijoux Terner is an internationally recognized women’s clothing and accessories brand, with stores and kiosks in various cities. Owning a franchise ranges from $255,850 and $546,850 in initial investment.
18. Children’s Orchard
Children’s Orchard is an upscale resale shop for kids run by NTY Franchise Company. The initial investment ranges from $212,500 to $326,500.
Bradoria is a bra-fitting franchise based in New York. It’s a relatively small chain, with six current stores. So costs and support can be catered to each new store.
20. Gap, Inc.
Gap, Inc. runs several popular global brands, including Gap, Old Navy, and Banana Republic. The company works with experienced retail business professionals internationally. Costs and processes vary widely by brand and location.
|Franchise Name||Description||Initial Investment||Average Annual Sales|
|Plato's Closet||Trendy resale shop with brand recognition||$275,000 - $350,000||$900,000|
|Apricot Lane Boutique||Women's fashion boutique with exclusive buyers||$150,000+||$450,000|
|Filthy Rich||Celebrity-inspired fashion brand with global reach||$115,000 - $250,000||$600,000|
|Clothes Mentor||Gently used women's clothing retailer||$250,000 - $360,000||$800,000|
|Flip Flop Shops||Casual footwear and beachwear franchise||$125,000+||$450,000|
|Style Encore||Secondhand women's retail franchise||$275,000 - $350,000||$850,000|
|Uptown Cheapskate||Trendy resale clothing franchise with growth||$301,579 - $491,579||$750,000|
|TaylorMarie's||Pop-up boutique for senior women||$103,650 - $173,600||$300,000|
|Pro Image Sports||Licensed sports apparel and casual clothes||$100,000 - $500,000||$800,000|
|Once Upon a Child||Kids' resale boutique run by Winmark Brands||$275,000 - $350,000||$950,000|
|Kid to Kid||Resale shop specializing in kids' clothing||$347,200 - $542,100||$700,000|
|Mainstream Boutique||Women's apparel brand with trendy clothing||$170,000 - $310,000||$600,000|
|Big Frog||Custom t-shirts business with low overhead||$182,904 - $253,041||$450,000|
|Instant Imprints||Custom t-shirt and printing franchise||Varies||Varies|
|fab'rik||Trendy fashion brand with personal styling||$120,000 - $200,000||$500,000|
|Barebones Workwear||Workwear clothing for trades professionals||$345,000 - $393,800||$800,000|
|Bijoux Terner||Internationally recognized women's brand||$255,850 - $546,850||$1,200,000|
|Children's Orchard||Upscale kids' resale shop run by NTY Franchise||$212,500 - $326,500||$750,000|
|Bradoria||Bra-fitting franchise based in New York||Varies||Varies|
|Gap, Inc.||Global brand offering multiple fashion options||Varies||Varies|
How to Choose the Best Franchise to Set Up Your Clothing Company
If you’re thinking of opting for a franchise opportunity, here are some tips to help you choose the right one.
Consider Your Budget
Costs vary widely by franchise locations and business model. Determine how much you can afford upfront and for ongoing support.
Research Your Local Market
What types of stores may be popular with local shoppers? And how is a franchise store different from other options nearby? It’s usually beneficial to fill a gap in the market instead of trying to compete with tons of similar options.
Visit Other Franchise Stores
If possible, visit other locations in the chains you’re considering to see what they’re like in person. Franchises often keep a similar environment for all stores, so choose one that suits your style.
Reach Out to Franchises
Many clothing franchises cater opportunities to their franchisees. So reach out to them to discuss opportunities in detail and get your questions answered.
- READ MORE: Best Commercial Clothing Rack
How Much Does It Cost To Open a Clothing Franchise?
Clothing franchise costs vary widely depending on the location and business model. Startup expenses can be anywhere from $100,000 to more than $600,000. However, most fall around $200,000 or $300,000.
Is a Clothing Franchise Profitable?
Clothing franchises can be quite profitable. Many cost less than $500,000 to start and can earn more than $1 million in sales each year.
Starting a clothing store can be a complex and time-consuming endeavor, but franchising offers a compelling solution for aspiring entrepreneurs. Clothing franchises provide a proven business model that can help you establish your retail venture quickly and efficiently. As we navigate the fashion industry in 2022, which is increasingly influenced by online shopping trends and sustainability concerns, clothing franchises continue to hold value for consumers who appreciate in-person shopping experiences and sustainable fashion choices.
Clothing store franchises offer several key benefits for individuals looking to enter the retail sector. These advantages include access to a proven business model that mitigates the inherent risks of retail ownership, the opportunity to become an active and integral part of your local community, a dynamic and social work environment that caters to those who enjoy interacting with people, the ability to indulge in a passion for fashion by stocking your favorite apparel and accessories, and the constant exposure to evolving fashion trends, enabling you to stay ahead of the curve.
When evaluating clothing franchise opportunities, there are critical criteria to consider, such as the brand’s reputation, initial investment, ongoing fees, support and training, location suitability, competition analysis, adaptability to market trends, franchisee feedback, legal agreements, and growth potential. These factors collectively influence the success and profitability of your clothing franchise venture.
Furthermore, we’ve provided a list of top clothing franchises for small business owners to consider, each with its unique characteristics and initial investment requirements. These franchise options cater to a diverse range of preferences and budgets, ensuring that aspiring entrepreneurs can find a suitable fit for their goals and interests.
Choosing the best franchise for your clothing business entails careful consideration of your budget, thorough market research to identify gaps and opportunities, on-site visits to assess the ambiance and suitability of potential franchise locations, and direct communication with franchise representatives to gather comprehensive information and answers to your queries.
Image: Envato Elements
More in: Franchise Opportunities