Coffee businesses have seen massive growth over the last few years, especially as customers become more discerning about the perfect cup of coffee. Customers are flocking to coffee shops in search of the elusive perfect cup of coffee and the right coffee bean, making it the ideal time to start a coffee franchise.
What is a Coffee Franchise?
If you’re looking to start a coffee business but don’t quite know where to start, a coffee franchise could be the right option for you. Because the franchise already has an established brand, starting as your first coffee shop can be easier. There are many coffee shop franchise options available that offer top-quality coffee. Some franchises focus solely on brewing fresh coffee, while others have a coffee beanery option for roasting coffee beans.
- READ MORE: See our Franchise Guide
The Coffee Industry in 2022
The number of coffee drinkers has grown, as with coffee options. The number of coffee shops has nearly doubled in the last decade and continues to increase to sell coffee, including espresso drinks. As coffee consumption continues to stay high, this is one of the best times to consider starting your own coffee cafe.
Why You Should Consider a Coffee Shop Franchise
There are many reasons to consider starting your coffee shop franchise and selling beverages and coffee beans, such as:
- Ample brand resources: As an independent coffee shop owner, you’ll have to invest significant capital into branding and marketing. You can avoid that by opting for a coffee shop franchise instead.
- Serve a new market: Many discerning coffee drinkers are always looking to try new franchises, and as a coffee chain owner, you can bring the market to you with your coffee shop.
- Proven business model: With espresso beverages and coffee on the rise, there is a proven business model that demonstrates that coffee shops can operate successfully if there is enough market demand.
Criteria for Choosing the Best Coffee Franchise Opportunities
These criteria will help small business owners and entrepreneurs make informed decisions. Here’s what we should consider:
Small Business Deals
Importance Scale: 1 (Least Important) – 5 (Most Important)
- Brand Reputation (5/5): A well-established and reputable coffee franchise is more likely to attract customers and generate trust.
- Location and Foot Traffic (5/5): The franchise’s location, accessibility, and proximity to high-traffic areas significantly impact success.
- Menu Innovation (4/5): An evolving and innovative menu keeps customers interested and returning for new offerings.
- Training and Support (5/5): Comprehensive training programs, ongoing support, and guidance from the franchisor are essential for success.
- Initial Investment and Costs (4/5): Evaluate the initial franchise fee, startup costs, and ongoing royalty fees to ensure they align with your budget.
- Customer Base and Demand (5/5): Assess the demand for coffee and related products in your target market to gauge potential success.
- Marketing and Advertising Support (4/5): Franchises that provide marketing materials and strategies help attract and retain customers effectively.
- Quality of Coffee and Products (5/5): The quality of coffee and other products is paramount to customer satisfaction and repeat business.
- Flexibility and Customization (3/5): Some franchises offer more flexibility in menu customization than others, depending on your preferences.
- Health and Dietary Options (3/5): Consider the availability of healthier and dietary-specific options to cater to a wider customer base.
|Criteria for Choosing a Coffee Franchise||Description||Considerations||Importance (1-5)|
|Brand Reputation||A reputable brand is more likely to attract customers.||Research the franchise's reputation and customer reviews.||5|
|Location and Foot Traffic||The franchise's location impacts its success.||Evaluate potential locations and foot traffic in the area.||5|
|Menu Innovation||Innovative menus keep customers interested.||Check if the franchise offers a variety of coffee and food options.||4|
|Training and Support||Comprehensive training and support are crucial.||Inquire about the training programs provided by the franchisor.||5|
|Initial Investment and Costs||Evaluate franchise fees and ongoing costs.||Assess if the costs align with your budget and financial resources.||4|
|Customer Base and Demand||Demand for coffee in the target market is essential.||Analyze the local demand for coffee and related products.||5|
|Marketing and Advertising Support||Effective marketing strategies attract and retain customers.||Check if the franchise offers marketing materials and support.||4|
|Quality of Coffee and Products||High-quality products lead to customer satisfaction.||Taste the coffee and food offerings to assess quality.||5|
|Flexibility and Customization||Some franchises offer menu customization.||Determine if the franchise allows customization based on preferences.||3|
|Health and Dietary Options||Catering to dietary needs can expand the customer base.||Check if the franchise offers healthy and dietary-specific options.||3|
Best Coffee Franchises
There are some incredible coffee shop franchise opportunities available for business owners. These brands are known for their premium coffee beans, selection, and expertly crafted beverages. We’ll go through some of the best coffee franchises currently out there.
1. Biggby Coffee
Biggby Coffee is perfect for those seeking a local coffee shop opportunity that serves gourmet coffee and strong sales. Bob Fish initially started it to form Global Orange Development with a team of baristas. However, its name was changed to Biggby in later years. Biggby Coffee isn’t just a coffee chain; it also fosters community and creates strong connections between people. The total investment needed to start your own Biggby franchise is estimated to be between $276,000 – $439,000.
2. PJ’s Coffee
PJ’s Coffee is definitely a franchise to consider for premium cold coffee drinks and delicious coffee. It has a lot to offer with many locations, a high volume of unit sales, and strong company culture. The initial franchise fee will start at $25,000-35,000, with additional expenses depending on the location and size of the shop.
3. Dunn Brothers Coffee
A staple in the specialty coffee industry, Dunn Brothers, is a franchise opportunity that could be a great option due to its premium coffee quality. With both food and coffee options, it’s a full-service coffee location that customers will keep coming back to. The initial franchise fee starts at $37,500.
4. Aroma Joe’s Coffee
Many coffee shops have that comfortable, cozy feel, and Aroma Joe’s is one of them. For those who drink coffee and want a place to hang out and see friends, this could be the right franchising option. Aroma Joe’s offers an exclusive proprietary premium blend and a wide selection of food and beverage options.
5. Maui Wowi Hawaiian Coffees
Maui Wowi is a unique franchising option because it’s not just about coffee. The brand also offers fresh fruit smoothies, refreshing organic tea, and other menu items that set it apart from the rest. So whether it’s a cup of cold brew or something fruity and delicious, this is the franchise option that has it all.
6. Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf
Another titan of coffee, Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, is one of the best coffee shop franchises out there. Its authentic Italian roasted coffee, trendy teas, and baked goods made a name for itself worldwide. This franchise can also be operated as coffee kiosks as well. However, their franchise agreement usually consists of multiple store commitments over a period of years.
7. Dunkin Donuts
An icon in the coffee industry, Dunkin Donuts has made a name for itself as not just a doughnut shop but for its premium coffee as well. One of the more popular franchises out there, Dunkin is known for its iced coffee, breakfast sandwiches, and value for money, which means it’s always a popular option with customers
8. The Human Bean
The Human Bean is worth exploring if you’re looking for a drive-thru espresso brand. It’s an industry leader, with relatively low startup costs compared to other franchises. In addition, no royalty or marketing fees are involved, and since there’s no sit-down component, it lowers the initial investment needed.
9. Gloria Jean’s Coffees
Gloria Jean’s Coffee has a global presence due to its franchise model. The initial investment isn’t all that high, and the business model has been shown to work. You can contact a representative from the brand to learn about possible locations where the coffee shop could work.
10. Bad Ass Coffee
Bad Ass Coffee is an excellent option for new business owners looking to enter the coffee world. They offer a lot of support to help the franchise succeed and have a distinct coffee blend that customers enjoy. Plus, the brand is known for its innovative coffee machines and approach to coffee, which resonates with customers.
11. Classic Rock Coffee Company
Classic Rock Coffee Company has a unique brand, making it easy to start this franchise. The whole brand works on an enjoyable theme that can be easy to adapt and run with, with great coffee systems and premium blends.
12. It’s a Grind Coffee House
With a clever name and marketing, it’s no surprise that It’s A Grind Coffee Shop has been so quick at expanding with multiple franchises. Customers enjoy the vibe, high-quality coffee, and innovative menu items, making It’s A Grind Coffee Shop a strong contender for franchising options.
13. Sweetwaters Coffee and Tea
Sweetwaters is a neighborhood coffee brand that feels like a part of the community. It’s about bringing love, care, and passion to coffee and the customer experience, with lots of support available to help the business succeed.
14. Scooter’s Coffee
Scooter’s Coffee isn’t just about coffee – it’s also about fun merchandise that brings Scooter’s coffee to customers and doing business with integrity and passion. The franchise is another option for those seeking their own coffee kiosks and wanting a mobile coffee shop option to explore.
How to Choose the Best Franchise to Set Up Your Coffee Shop Business
Choosing from the top coffee franchises can be challenging, but here are some top factors to consider. These include what customers want, what the market is like in your chosen area, and who you will compete with.
- Brand awareness and interest
- Initial investment versus predicted revenue
- Market demand for coffee shops, especially in rural or suburban areas
- Competitors in the area and pricing
- READ MORE: How to Start a Coffee Shop of Your Own
How Much Does It Cost to Open a Coffee Franchise?
The initial investment to open a coffee shop can vary depending on the brand, the location, and the franchise fee associated with it. Generally, starting your coffee franchise can cost anywhere from $200,000 to $400,000 and more.
Are Coffee Shop Franchises Profitable?
Coffee shop franchises can be profitable for many depending on the level of investment and the demand for coffee in a market. Some coffee shops also have a strong brand associated with them and may be familiar to consumers, making them potentially more profitable and expensive to get started with.
- See our Franchise Guide
- The Best Commercial Coffee Maker for Your Small Business
- 10 Startup Tips from Affordable Franchise Coffee News
- How to Start a Coffee Shop of Your Own
Image: Envato Elements
More in: Franchise Opportunities