In the vast world of online marketplaces, the eBay marketplace has been a household name for decades. However, with the rise of new competitors and the ever-changing e-commerce landscape, it’s always a good idea to have alternative options. In this article, we’ve rounded up the 30 best eBay alternatives to try in 2023, giving you a range of platforms to consider for your online buying and selling needs. Let’s get started!
Is there a good alternative to eBay?
For online sellers looking to sell online, there are several alternatives to eBay available that offer a similar selling process and sales volume. However, the most recommended selling venue depends on factors such as shipping costs, any final value fee, and any referral fee. It is important to compare and contrast different platforms’ selling fees and user demographics before deciding which platform to use for selling online.
Why You Should Consider Seeking Alternatives to eBay
Although eBay is a well-established e-commerce marketplace, there are several reasons why you may want to explore other options especially when you’re selling on eBay. Here are five key considerations to keep in mind when looking for eBay alternatives in 2023:
- Fees and costs: eBay’s listing or selling fees can quickly add up, cutting into your profits as a seller. This is why many eBay sellers are turning to cheaper alternative platforms that offer better listing fee structures and lower costs.
- Competition: With millions of active users, eBay is a highly competitive marketplace, which can make it challenging to stand out for eBay merchants. However, some of the best eBay alternatives are less crowded and offer more opportunities for sellers.
- Limited customization: eBay’s platform offers limited opportunities for customization and branding, which can limit your ability to create a unique brand identity. Many alternative platforms offer more customization features to help you stand out.
- Product restrictions: eBay has strict guidelines around what can and cannot be sold on the platform, which can limit the range of products available to buyers and sellers. Alternative marketplaces often offer more flexibility when it comes to product categories.
- Poor customer support: Some users have reported poor customer support experiences with eBay, which can make it difficult to resolve issues in a timely and satisfactory manner. Other platforms often have more efficient and responsive customer service teams.
Check out this video by Daily Refinement and find out why they say small sellers are quitting eBay.
Selecting the Best eBay Alternatives for Your Business
Finding the right platform for online selling is crucial for the success of your business. When considering alternatives to eBay, it’s important to evaluate them based on specific criteria. Each factor is rated on a scale of 1 to 5, where 1 is less critical and 5 is most critical.
Small Business Deals
- Fees and Charges: Assess the cost of using the platform, including listing fees, transaction fees, and any other charges.
- Importance Scale: 5/5
- User Base and Traffic: Consider the size and activity of the user base on the platform, which can affect the potential reach of your listings.
- Importance Scale: 5/5
- Ease of Use: Evaluate how user-friendly the platform is, including listing processes, account management, and navigation.
- Importance Scale: 4/5
- Market Niche Relevance: Determine if the platform caters to specific niches that align with your product categories.
- Importance Scale: 4/5
- Payment and Shipping Options: Look at the available payment and shipping options, as these can impact both seller and buyer experiences.
- Importance Scale: 4/5
- Customer Support and Seller Protection: Assess the quality of customer service and the level of support and protection offered to sellers.
- Importance Scale: 4/5
- Integration with Other Tools: Consider whether the platform can be integrated with other business tools you use, like inventory management systems.
- Importance Scale: 3/5
- Brand Building Opportunities: Evaluate the platform’s potential for building your brand, such as through custom shop pages or marketing tools.
- Importance Scale: 3/5
- Analytics and Reporting: The availability and quality of analytics and reporting features can help you track sales and optimize your listings.
- Importance Scale: 4/5
- Legal and Ethical Compliance: Ensure that the platform complies with legal standards and ethical practices relevant to your business.
- Importance Scale: 5/5
Top eBay Alternative Sites in 2023
Before you dive into our list, discover the top eBay alternative sites in 2023 with this handy comparison table. It provides a snapshot of key information, allowing online sellers to quickly assess the advantages and features of each platform.
|1||Amazon||One of the largest e-commerce platforms with a wide variety of products, free shipping, buyer protection, and user-friendly interface.|
|2||Bonanza||Focuses on unique items, offers a low commission rate, built-in marketing tools, and integration with other marketplaces.|
|3||Etsy||Specializes in handmade, vintage, and unique items, with a strong community of buyers and sellers who value craftsmanship.|
|4||Craigslist||An online classifieds website for local buying and selling, without network or shipping fees (exercise caution with transactions).|
|5||Ruby Lane||Specializes in antique, vintage, and collectible items, offering buyer protection, secure payment options, and fixed-price listings.|
|6||Shopify||E-commerce platform that allows businesses to create their own online stores, offering customizable templates and secure payment processing.|
|7||Newegg||Specializes in electronics and computer hardware, offering competitive prices, fast shipping, and a wide selection of products.|
|8||eBid||An online auction site with low fees and a simple bidding process, offering various product categories.|
|9||Facebook Marketplace||Feature within the Facebook app that allows users to buy and sell items locally, with messenger integration and visibility to seller profiles.|
|10||Walmart Marketplace||Retail giant with a marketplace for third-party sellers, offering features such as free two-day shipping and easy returns.|
|11||eCrater||Enables sellers to create their own free online stores with customizable templates and integration with Google Shopping.|
|12||Rakuten||A global marketplace offering a variety of products, cashback rewards, free shipping, and buyer protection.|
|13||Wish||Focuses on affordable and discounted products from around the world, with features like free shipping and easy returns.|
|14||eWorldTrade||B2B platform connecting buyers and sellers globally, with secure payment processing, verified supplier information, and market research tools.|
|15||OpenSky||Online marketplace for unique and artisanal products, offering free shipping, buyer protection, and a 30-day return policy.|
|16||Zibbet||Specializes in vintage, handmade, and craft products, offering customizable shop designs, automatic cross-listing, and social media integration.|
|17||Mercari||Local buying and selling app with a wide variety of products, offering easy listing, secure payments, and a user-friendly interface.|
|18||Nextdoor||Social networking platform connecting neighbors for local buying and selling, with verified member information and neighborhood-specific groups.|
|19||Varagesale||Community-based marketplace with a focus on local buying and selling, emphasizing safety and security with in-app messaging and buyer protection.|
|20||BetterWorldBooks||Online retailer specializing in used and new books, offering free shipping, easy returns, and a carbon offset program.|
|21||Poshmark||Specializes in secondhand clothing and accessories, offering a social aspect with sharing listings and buyer protection.|
|22||Sears Marketplace||Online marketplace with a wide range of products, offering buyer protection, free shipping, and a rewards program.|
|23||Vestiaire||Marketplace for pre-owned luxury fashion, offering authenticity verification, buyer protection, and worldwide shipping.|
|24||SeeBiz||B2B platform connecting wholesalers and manufacturers, offering real-time inventory tracking, secure payment processing, and market research tools.|
|25||Storenvy||Marketplace focusing on unique and independent products, offering customizable storefronts, easy listing, and social media integration.|
|26||LightInTheBox||Online retailer with a wide variety of products, offering free shipping, buyer protection, and a rewards program.|
|27||OfferUp||Local buying and selling app with a wide variety of products, offering in-app messaging, secure payments, and a user-friendly interface.|
|28||Bookoo||Community-based marketplace for local buying and selling, with verified member information and in-app messaging.|
|29||Not on the High Street||Marketplace specializing in unique and personalized gifts, offering free shipping and easy returns.|
|30||Reverb||Specializes in musical instruments and equipment, offering easy listing, buyer protection, and a user-friendly interface.|
If you’re an online seller considering alternative online marketplaces to eBay in 2023, there are many options to choose from. Whether you’re looking to sell a car or sell clothes online, here are some of the top eBay alternative selling platforms to consider for buying and selling items:
Amazon is an online marketplace that sells a wide variety of products. It is one of the largest e-commerce platforms in the world and has millions of active buyers and sellers. Amazon offers features such as free shipping, buyer protection, and a user-friendly interface.
Bonanza focuses on unique items, including handmade items, vintage, and one-of-a-kind products. The platform offers a low commission rate, built-in marketing tools, and integration with other marketplaces such as eBay and Amazon.
Etsy specializes in handmade, vintage, and unique items. It is among the top places to sell handmade creations and has a strong community of buyers and sellers who value craftsmanship and individuality. Etsy offers tools for sellers to customize their shops and connect with customers.
Craigslist is an online classifieds website that allows users to buy and sell items locally. It is free to use and does not charge network or shipping fees. However, users must exercise caution when dealing with strangers and verifying the legitimacy of listings.
5. Ruby Lane
Ruby Lane is an online selling platform that specializes in antique, vintage, and collectible items. It has a curated selection of high-quality products and a community of knowledgeable buyers and sellers. Ruby Lane offers features such as buyer protection, secure payment options, and fixed-price listings.
Shopify is an e-commerce platform that allows any business to create its own online store. It offers features such as customizable templates for your own store, secure payment processing, and integration with other sales channels. Shopify also provides tools for marketing and managing inventory.
Newegg is an online retailer that specializes in electronics and computer hardware. It offers competitive prices, fast shipping, and a wide selection of products. Newegg also has a marketplace that allows third-party sellers to offer their products to its customers.
eBid is an online auction site that offers low fees and a simple bidding process. It has a wide variety of products available for sale in an auction-style format, including electronics, collectibles, and fashion items. eBid also has a community forum for buyers and sellers to connect and share information.
9. Facebook Marketplace
Facebook Marketplace is a feature within the Facebook app that allows users to buy and sell items locally. Facebook Marketplace offers features such as messenger integration and the ability to see a seller’s profile.
10. Walmart Marketplace
Walmart is a retail giant that offers a wide variety of products both online and in-store. Its website has a marketplace that allows third-party sellers to offer their products to Walmart’s customers. Walmart also offers features such as free two-day shipping and easy returns.
eCrater is an online marketplace that allows sellers to create their own free online stores. It offers a user-friendly interface, customizable templates, and integration with Google Shopping. You can use it to sell a domain name, offer digital products, or set up a traditional e-commerce shop. eCrater also has features such as automatic tax calculation and email notifications.
Rakuten is a marketplace that offers a variety of products, including electronics, fashion, and home goods. It has a large international presence and offers features such as cashback rewards, free shipping, and buyer protection. It’s used by over 90% of Japan’s internet users.
Wish specializes in affordable and discounted products from around the world. It has a large selection of products, including electronics, fashion, and home goods. Wish also offers features such as free shipping and easy returns.
eWorldTrade is a B2B (business-to-business) platform that connects buyers and sellers from around the world. It offers features such as secure payment processing, verified supplier information, and a user-friendly interface. eWorldTrade also provides tools for market research and lead generation.
OpenSky is an online marketplace that focuses on unique and artisanal products. It has a community of independent sellers who offer high-quality, handcrafted items. OpenSky also offers features such as free shipping, buyer protection, and a 30-day return policy.
Zibbet specializes in vintage, handmade, and handcrafted products and craft supplies. It has a strong community of creative sellers and offers features such as customizable shop designs, automatic cross-listing, and integration with social media platforms. Zibbet also provides tools for marketing and SEO optimization.
Mercari allows users to buy and sell items locally. It has a wide variety of products available, including fashion, electronics, and home goods. Mercari offers features such as easy listing, secure payments, and a user-friendly interface.
Nextdoor is a social networking platform that connects neighbors and communities. It has a feature that allows users to buy and sell items locally. Nextdoor also offers features such as verified member information and neighborhood-specific groups.
VarageSale is an online marketplace that focuses on local, community-based buying and selling. It has a strict verification process for members and offers features such as in-app messaging, buyer protection, and a user-friendly interface. VarageSale also has a strong emphasis on safety and security.
BetterWorldBooks is an online retailer that specializes in used and new books. It has a wide selection of titles and offers features such as free shipping, easy returns, and a carbon offset program. BetterWorldBooks also has a strong focus on social responsibility and supports literacy initiatives around the world.
Poshmark specializes in secondhand clothing and accessories. It has a social aspect, allowing users to follow their favorite sellers and share listings with their networks. Poshmark also offers features such as buyer protection and easy shipping.
22. Sears Marketplace
Sears Marketplace is an online marketplace that offers a wide range of products, including appliances, tools, and electronics. It has a large network of sellers and offers features such as buyer protection, free shipping, and a rewards program. Sears Marketplace also has a strong emphasis on customer service.
Vestiaire is a marketplace online that specializes in pre-owned luxury fashion. It has a curated selection of high-end items and offers features such as authenticity verification, buyer protection, and worldwide shipping. Vestiaire also has a strong focus on sustainability and circular fashion.
SeeBiz is a B2B (business-to-business) platform that connects wholesalers and manufacturers. It offers features such as real-time inventory tracking, secure payment processing, and a user-friendly interface. SeeBiz also provides tools for product sourcing and lead generation.
Storenvy focuses on unique and independent products. It has a community of creative sellers and offers features such as customizable storefronts, easy listing, and integration with social media platforms. Storenvy also provides tools for marketing and SEO optimization.
LightInTheBox is an online retailer that offers a variety of products, including fashion, electronics, and home goods. It has a global reach and offers features such as free shipping, buyer protection, and a rewards program. LightInTheBox also has a strong focus on customer service.
The OfferUp online marketplace allows users to buy and sell items locally. The local selling app has a large selection of products available, including electronics, furniture, and clothing. OfferUp offers features such as in-app messaging, secure payments, and a user-friendly interface.
Bookoo focuses on local, community-based buying and selling. It has a wide variety of products available, including furniture, clothing, and vehicles. Bookoo offers features such as verified member information and in-app messaging.
29. Not on the High Street
Not on the High Street is an online marketplace that specializes in unique and personalized gifts. It has a curated selection of products from independent sellers and offers features such as free shipping and easy returns. Not on the High Street also provides tools for gift customization and personalization.
Reverb specializes in musical instruments and equipment. It has a large community of musicians and sellers and offers features such as easy listing, buyer protection, and a user-friendly interface. Reverb also provides tools for research and community engagement.
Who is eBay’s biggest competitor?
eBay has several competitors in the online marketplace space, but the largest one by far is Amazon. With a market capitalization of $1 trillion and a massive user base, Amazon offers a wide range of products and services, making it a formidable opponent for eBay.
Is eBay losing popularity?
Although eBay’s active user count decreased by 13% in 2022, the eBay shopping app remains popular among US shoppers. With 3.67 million monthly active users, it outranks some of its main competitors, including OfferUp and Alibaba. eBay is always looking for ways to innovate and stay ahead of the curve, so it is likely that its popularity will remain strong in the coming years.
Which online marketplace is most unlike eBay?
When it comes to online marketplaces, there are many options available that differ from eBay in various ways. One example is Etsy, which focuses on handmade and vintage items rather than general merchandise. Another option is Amazon, which offers a much wider range of products, including its own branded goods, and features a different selling model. Finally, there are marketplaces like Poshmark and Depop, which specialize in secondhand and vintage clothing.
What eBay alternative has the lowest listing fees?
Craigslist is a popular eBay alternative that offers the lowest listing fees. Unlike eBay, Craigslist does not charge any listing fees for most categories, making it an ideal platform for those looking to sell items without incurring high costs. However, it’s important to note that Craigslist does not provide the same level of buyer and seller protection as eBay.
Which selling platform is the best eBay alternative?
If you are pretty much fed up with buying from eBay or simply want to spread around the merchandise listings for selling, here are 6 alternatives that are definitely worth using. Each platform has its own set of benefits and drawbacks, such as fees, audience, and level of seller protection. It’s important to research and compare different platforms to find the one that best suits your needs. Let’s take a closer look at the advantages that these six alternatives have over eBay:
- Mercari: This popular mobile marketplace offers a simpler selling experience with its user-friendly interface and streamlined listing process. They also provide features such as shipping labels and secure payment options.
- Etsy: Etsy’s advantage over eBay is its specialization in handmade, vintage, and craft items, providing a niche market of buyers specifically interested in these products. It has a strong community of buyers who appreciate the craftsmanship and creativity behind handmade and vintage items.
- eBid: eBid offers lower fees compared to eBay, allowing sellers to keep a larger portion of their profits. It offers sellers the ability to list items in various categories and provides a platform with a lower fee structure. eBid aims to be a cost-effective option for sellers looking to maximize their profits.
- eCrater: eCrater’s biggest pro is that it allows sellers to create their own free online stores, giving them more control and customization options. With eCrater, sellers have the flexibility to create a unique brand experience for their customers. Plus, they have hundreds of reviews that indicate most of their customers are satisfied with their purchases overall.
- Ruby Lane: This collector hotspot is a cheaper alternative to eBay. Additionally, they have a reputation for their stringent quality standards and attentive customer service, ensuring a trustworthy platform for buyers and sellers.
- Your Own Store (e.g., Shopify, WooCommerce, BigCommerce): Setting up your own online store gives you several advantages over eBay. For one thing, you get complete control over your brand and customer experience. Secondly, platforms like Shopify, WooCommerce, or BigCommerce provide robust e-commerce solutions with customizable storefronts, secure payment options, and marketing tools. Lastly, with your own store, you have the flexibility to build a unique brand identity and establish a direct relationship with your customers.
By exploring these alternatives, you can expand your reach and find a platform that better aligns with your selling goals and preferences. Consider the advantages each platform offers over eBay and choose the one that suits your products, target audience, and selling objectives.
Image: Envato Elements
More in: How to Start