If you use a lot of tools for work, you already know how important it is to keep them on hand, organized, and secure. Having a job that takes you on the road creates another need – keeping your tools secure while you’re out on a job. This is why people invest in truck bed toolboxes. They keep all your belongings organized, secure, and with you whenever you need them.
Getting the Right Truck Bed Tool Box
Not all toolboxes are created equally! You’ll have some things to consider before you purchase a truck bed toolbox.
We’ve carefully assessed various factors to ensure our recommendations meet the needs of businesses that depend on mobility. Here’s the methodology we’ve used, which also serves as a guide for selecting the best truck bed toolbox:
- Durability and Material (Scale: 9/10)
- Construction material (e.g., steel, aluminum, plastic)
- Weatherproof and rust-resistant features
- Security (Scale: 9/10)
- Locking mechanisms
- Reinforced lid and body for theft prevention
- Size and Storage Capacity (Scale: 8/10)
- Toolbox dimensions to fit within the truck bed
- Internal organization for tools and supplies
- Ease of Access (Scale: 8/10)
- Type of opening (single lid, double lid, side mount)
- Gas struts or hydraulic lifts for easy lid opening
- Compatibility (Scale: 7/10)
- Fit with different truck bed sizes and brands
- Mounting system compatibility
- Weight and Load Consideration (Scale: 7/10)
- Impact on vehicle’s payload capacity
- Ease of installation and removal
- Portability (Scale: 5/10)
- Handles or other features for easy transport if needed
- Aesthetics (Scale: 4/10)
- Design and finish to match the truck and company branding
- Maintenance (Scale: 6/10)
- Ease of cleaning and maintenance
- Corrosion-resistant coatings
- Price (Scale: 8/10)
- Value for money based on the above features
- Warranty and after-sales service
These criteria ensure that the truck bed toolboxes we recommend are robust, secure, and practical for small businesses that rely on their tools being as mobile and ready as they are.
What to Look for in a Truck Bed Tool Box:
- Size – You’ll need a toolbox that fits in your truck and is large enough to hold your equipment.
- Material – Most truck bed toolboxes are made from aluminum or steel, although there are plastic options as well.
- Locking – All truck toolboxes lock, but some have extra locks, locks that you can open from inside the vehicle, etc.
- Layout – Different toolboxes have different amounts of space. If you have long tools, for example, you’ll need a toolbox where that fits.
- Location – While the items on our list are “truck bed toolboxes,” many can be placed in or on other locations in your vehicle, such as in the trunk or on the top.
Dee Zee Red Label Utility Chest
Dee Zee has been making quality truck accessories for years, so it’s no surprise they’re our top pick for the best truck bed toolbox. It is made from rust-resistant .056 Brite-Tread aluminum and features a removable plastic tool tray, lockable stainless steel paddle latches, and a closed cell foam gasket that keeps the box water and weather resistant. This truck bed toolbox is 48″L x 21″ W x 19″H.
Small Business Deals
Buyers Products Truck Box with T-Handle Latch
This stainless steel truck bed toolbox features a heavy-duty construction and large storage capacity. It has a locking stainless steel compression latch, and corrosion resistance, and is available in many different sizes.
ARKSEN Heavy Duty Aluminum Bar Tread Tool Box
Arksen’s truck bed toolbox features an overhanging door lip to keep water from creeping inside, as well as a built-in lock. Its heavy-duty aluminum construction resists rust and keeps it durable and long-lasting. This model is available in 49-inch and 39-inch sizes.
Crescent Tools Aluminum Dual Lid Crossover Truck Box
This toolbox has adjustable lid strikers to keep the lid tightly secured. It also features include a self-rising lid, large opening, and leakproof stainless steel design. At 70 x 17 x 60 inches, it is ideal for someone with large tools and/or a lot of equipment.
UWS Heavy-Wall Aluminum Slim Truck Tool Box
A patented Rigid Core lid is the highlight of this low-profile toolbox. The lid is filled with solid foam for an extra layer of protection. Additionally, it’s made from stainless steel, and comes with a tool tray and built-in screwdriver holders for convenient small item storage and retrieval. This box is 63″ x 12″ x 10 .”
TUFFIOM 48-inch Heavy-Duty Aluminum Truck Tool Box
This fully welded toolbox by Tuffiom is made from heavy-duty aluminum alloy. It is rust-resistant and is said to be long-lasting. It also features a door and a heavy-duty hinge and comes with a lock and 2 keys. This model is available in 48″, 36″ and 24″ sizes.
BATONECO Aluminum Truck Bed Tool Box with Side Handle
The stainless steel D-handles on this toolbox make it easy to grip and creates a tight door seal for improved weather resistance. It comes with a built-in lock, 2 keys, an overhanging door and weather guard rubber seal, and, best of all, plenty of storage space. This toolbox is available in several sizes.
Auto Dynasty Aluminum Pickup Truck Bed Storage Tool Box
Auto Dynasty’s aluminum toolbox has a 5 tread pattern, which they say adds strength to the aluminum. The toolbox, which is 49″L x 13″W x 10″H, has an overhanging lip to prevent water from getting in, and a built-in lock.
Eylar SR-50 Crossover Overland Cargo Hard Case
The Eylar crossover is an example of a plastic toolbox, which is growing in popularity. This box is water-resistant and made from linear low-density polyethylene, a heavy-duty plastic material designed to withstand the elements. The strapping anchor slots allow the case to be tied down for secure transport in a truck bed or anywhere else. The SR-50 Crossover is 25.6″L x 15.2″W x 13.75″H.
Dee Zee Plastic Poly Tool Box
Last up is another plastic truck bed toolbox, this time by our top pick brand Dee Zee. This plastic poly box is 35″L x 13″ W x 14″H and features molded locking tabs, a double-walled lid, and a warp-resistant frame.
Maximizing Your Truck’s Utility with a Toolbox
When you’re a professional who frequently requires tools on the job, the last thing you want is to waste precious time hunting for the right wrench or drill bit. That’s where having a toolbox in your truck bed becomes a game-changer. Here are some compelling reasons to consider adding one to your work truck:
- Efficiency Boost: With tools neatly organized, you’re more likely to complete tasks faster. No more scrambling around the truck bed searching for what you need.
- Professionalism: When clients see you pull out a well-organized toolbox, it instantly elevates their perception of your expertise and preparedness.
- Protection from the Elements: Tools can get rusty or damaged when exposed to rain or snow. A toolbox shelters them, ensuring longer life and consistent performance.
- Added Security: A locked toolbox offers peace of mind. You won’t have to stress about potential tool theft during job site breaks or overnight storage.
To make the most of your toolbox:
- Regularly Clean It: Tools last longer and perform better when they’re free from dirt and debris.
- Inventory Checks: Periodically assess what’s inside. Remove tools you don’t use and add those you find yourself needing more often.
- Use Dividers or Organizational Trays: This ensures smaller tools don’t get lost in the shuffle.
Remember, the right toolbox isn’t just about storage; it’s about streamlining your workflow and showcasing your professionalism. When every second counts on the job, you’ll be glad you have everything right at your fingertips.
Remember – these truck bed boxes on our list don’t have to be used for tools! They are great for hauling camping equipment, photography equipment, gardening, and landscaping tools – the possibilities are just about endless. If you get yourself a well-made toolbox, you’ll always have a place to securely store your items, freeing up space in your truck bed and keeping everything organized.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
More in: Home Improvement Contracting Business, Small Business Essentials